Prologue

AN- credit for the image goes to a dress up game, hobbit scene maker, as I cannot draw to save myself. Hobbit scene maker, site Azalea's Dolls

In Ancient Greece, there was an old couple, just outside of Athens. They had a small farm, herding sheep. But over the course of their lives they had eventually come to the conclusion that they were unable to have kids; which didn't bother the pair too much. They were content. But they grew older, weaker, and realised a pair of young hands wouldn't be a miss. Adoption fees were too high for them to pay, but a strange woman offered them an orphaned baby for nothing more than to keep said baby on their property at all times. So the couple took the child and raised her to tend to lambs, feeding them bottles, keeping them entertained, with the end goal of her eventually being able to tend to the sheep.

They never did get the chance to see her take over their duties, however. The pair had always known the girl was... Odd. Strange things would happen around the farm. Small floods from nowhere. Fires when it was raining. Roots suddenly growing obscene lengths over night. They could have sworn they saw a three foot twister once... But they thought nothing of it. Neighbours thought the gods angry with the village, but the old couple paid them no mind.

Although wrong, the villagers weren't too off the mark.

When she turned six, the girl was fed up of being confined to the farm. She wanted to play with the other children in the village, the ones that would run by almost everyday. So one day she did. As usual, she saw the children run past the fence and off into the forest. When her caretakers weren't looking, she made a run for it and chased them. It wasn't long before she was in the forest, trying to listen to the laughing so she could find them. But eventually the laughing died, and the girl realised she was lost. It didn't bother her; she had been told it was only a small forest. She knew she just had to get to the edge and walk around.

For about an hour, the sweet, innocent girl took her time walking through the forest, enjoying her freedom. It smelled so differently there, the different trees, different flowers. The ground felt strange against her bare feet, completely different to what the usual mud and hay felt. Even the different birds fascinated her. Sure, she'd seen them before. But the trees were somewhat far from the farm; she'd never seen the birds this close, yet they were still a good distance away.

Her excitement and wonder was short lived when she heard a voice. "My, you're a curious little thing." The girl looked up from the leaf she held in her hand, seeing a woman stood by one of the trees. Her voice was soft, but it felt fake. Her eyes were large and doe like, her hair very dark. The dress she wore was exquisite, several layers of thin, flowing fabric wrapped around her with metal embellishments here and there. "What could possibly be so interesting about a leaf?" She asked, tilting her head slightly.

"It's pretty. If you look close, it has patterns on it," the girl told her, still happy as can be.

The girls smile almost was enough to make the woman rethink her plan. Almost. "Your innocence will only be your weakness, my dear," the woman coldly smiled.

The girl raised an eyebrow. "I don't understand?"

"You don't need to. All you need to know, is your grandfather is a bad man, and this is his punishment." The girl stared ahead blankly, causing the woman to sigh. "Children, pathetically unintelligent little creatures... You will bare a curse. The curse of immortality. You will grow only to see those around you leave this world. You will also be sent from this time to another, and be a stranger to the world you grow up in."

The girl had a bad feeling in her gut. "I think I should go home now..." she said, slowly turning before sprinting away in the opposite direction.

"You'll forget this! This day, and this life!" The woman called, before raising her hand and causing clouds to appear before the girl. Before she could react, she had ran right through them, and disappeared... The woman smirked triumphantly. "You need not remember it... Your horrible grandfather will. It's one thing to have an affair to create its mother, but to provide for it and keep her a secret? That won't do."