"Shall we walk?" he suggested when he noticed that the silence between them had lasted far too long.

"Please, Mr. Holmes."

She took his arm and he tried to lighten the mood with a joke. "I was under the impression that the man usually proposes, and under much more formal circumstances."

She let out an embarrassed laugh. "Yes, Mr. Holmes. That is very true. And I know that you told me you have no interest in marriage, which I entirely respect, but please hear me out until I tell you my whole plan."

"I will, Miss Ballard."

He was very curious, especially when she used the word plan. He wanted to know what she was up to.

"You are a second son, Mr. Holmes," she began matter-of-factly, "but your brother Mycroft is not married."

"No, he's not. If you'd met Mycroft, you'd understand why. He thinks it would take an extraordinary woman to tolerate me, but it would take an exceedingly extraordinary woman to tolerate him."

She blushed at the idea of Sherlock needing an extraordinary woman, but grinned at his comment about his brother. "So I've heard, Mr. Holmes. Regardless, my point is that it may fall to you to produce an heir for your family, yes?"

He wrinkled his nose. "It very well may," he agreed.

It was a responsibility he had absolutely no interest in fulfilling, if only because of the physical acts involved. He had never had desires of that kind, and though he found himself reacting strangely to Miss Ballard, that was still not part of the equation.

"I am well aware that you are not bound to providing heirs for your family," she continued. "But it is a consideration for you, and must therefore be addressed."

"I am afraid I don't follow you just yet, Miss Ballard," he confessed, biting his lip as he looked at her.

Her cheeks were unusually red, and she was clearly flustered. "I'm sorry, Mr. Holmes. I'm nervous," she admitted.

He slid his fingers through hers and squeezed her hand. "Don't be, please. I'm listening."

She looked at him, then at their intertwined hands, and nodded, taking a deep breath to center herself. "I have two options if I wish to live freely, Mr. Holmes. One is to not marry and risk being destitute at every turn because I must rely on the kindness of family, who may or may not be willing or able to care for me."

"Do you not make money from your novels, Miss Ballard?" he asked, keeping his voice low.

"I do," she revealed, "but not nearly enough, even to live simply, which I would be perfectly satisfied with."

"I see. Please go on."

"The other option is to marry and hope that my husband either does not discover or will not disapprove of my literary ambitions, which is very unlikely, as I'm sure you already know."

He nodded, thinking of what she had said before about the world being made for men. His mother and sister, along with one of their friends, had made him very aware of that fact recently.

"What I suggest is not technically a marriage proposal, but a business transaction," she finally revealed.

"A business transaction?" he repeated.

"Yes. If we were to marry, you could live as you please, even apart from me, if you like. If it becomes necessary for you to produce an heir, I will give you one, or several, if you prefer. My Aunt Violet is going to provide me with a substantial dowry, as she already mentioned to you. And the estate that is currently my father's, Norland Park, will pass to me upon his death, as you already know as well. Sadly, it is in disrepair at the moment, but I am more than capable of handling its renovation myself if I have the funds. It would be legally yours, since you would be my husband. The restoration of the estate is one of my terms, within reason, of course. I would like it to be functional, at the very least. I would also like access to it at all times, though it would be completely within your right to banish me from its halls," she acknowledged bitterly.

"I would not do such a thing, Miss Ballard," he assured her gently.

"You understand my worry, I hope, Mr. Holmes," she murmured. "Getting married is the less risky option for me, certainly, but if I marry a man who truly sees me as a possession, or comes to hate me because he discovers the truth about me, or because I do not give him sons, or for any other reason he might choose, his vindictiveness could know no bounds. Despite your eccentric nature, I do not think you are that kind of man, or we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Still, people change, sometimes for no apparent reason."

"I hope I will only change for the better, Miss Ballard," he replied sincerely, "and I am certain you would tell me if I wasn't."

"I would, as perilous as that might be." She swallowed anxiously. "The only other thing I ask in return is that I be allowed to pursue my own interests. My novels would remain anonymous, of course, to preserve the reputations of all those involved. I would also help you with more cases, if you desired it of me."

"My other caveat, which is simply practical," she finished, "is that this conversation remain between us, regardless of your answer. It would be entirely scandalous if it were discovered that we had this kind of arrangement, or that I even suggested it. No matter what we do afterward, this season, the ton must believe us to be making a match for acceptable reasons, and to see us engaged and courting as is proper, if you choose that route."

"I see that you have thought this through, Miss Ballard."

"I hope I have not been too convoluted, Mr. Holmes," she sighed.

He shook his head. "No, I understand you perfectly, I believe." He licked his lips. "Might I have some time to consider everything you've said?"

"Of course."

"Thank you."

He stopped walking, and she stopped along with him. He smiled at her reassuringly. "This will always be our secret, Miss Ballard, no matter what happens."

Before she could reply, he raised her hand to his lips and lightly kissed her knuckles. She gasped at the feel of his mouth against her skin, feeling her own flush and a slight shiver move up her spine in response.

"I will give you my answer as soon as I have it, Miss Ballard," he promised. "For now, I bid you farewell."

She was unable to do anything but nod as he moved away from her. Shortly after, Violet was beside her and grabbing her arm.

"You have been spending quite a lot of time with the detective, Robin. Might he be planning to propose?" she wondered bluntly.

"I have no idea, Aunt Violet," Robin confessed truthfully. "But I would not be averse if he did."

"Good," she replied happily. "I think he would be a lovely match for you."

He would be. Robin knew that. The bargain she was attempting to strike was smart and fair.

What hadn't occurred to her was how much it might hurt to be married to a man she had feelings for who had no feelings for her.

She wasn't even entirely sure how she felt yet, but he was being rather confounding, and it wasn't helping. However, she merely attributed it to his inexperience with the ton. He didn't feel anything for her. He wasn't that type of man.

Regardless, the offer had been made. If the worst thing that happened was that she had a kind husband who did not love her, she would consider herself lucky.

A broken heart was a small price to pay for a comfortable life that afforded her her freedom with no fear.