02: Her family

Chapter 2: Her family

In the end, Mana shamelessly ran from the brat.

And she'd made a mistake in telling the story to her guardian, which is how the cross-dresser Izo found himself on his back and rolling with laughter, tears in his eyes. This was roughly a week later, and Mana was regretting telling him about the incident as she glared at the Commander of the 16th Division with as much malice as she could muster up.

Izo was clutching onto his sides, thoroughly enjoying Mana's discomfort and her growing anger. From the corner of her eyes, Mana noticed Marco watching the pair with an amused expression, he was close enough to have heard everything. Her cheeks flushed from embarrassment.

It's not like Izo was quiet about it because Mana rarely acted like an ordinary ten-year-old kid was supposed to behave - then again, her childhood was far from that of a normal. She's gone through things that no kid should. She's seen the real horror of what lies within MarieJois. She's done things that no one should be proud of, and whenever Izo thought about it, he couldn't help that silent rage within him. If only...such were how Izo's thoughts often began when it concerned Mana.

"IT'S NOT FUNNY, IZO!" Mana screeched, and an angry vein appeared on her forehead, spit flying everywhere as she did so. At this precise moment, she hoped that Izo choked on his laughter.

She swore that Marco was smirking, fully enjoying the scene before him.

"On the contrary, my dearest Mana~," Izo wiped a tear, and his red lips were pulled into a devious smirk as he glanced at her. She shuddered in an unexplainable fear. It was unfair that Izo was more beautiful than Mana felt herself to be, even though she was only ten. "It is. A nose-picking brat asked you to join him, and you fled like a dog whose tail was tucked between its legs. Hilarious! HAHAHA HAHAHA!"

The blonde-haired girl growled, indignantly huffing at the man she's known for nearly three years now. He'd somehow stumbled upon Mana as she was aimlessly walking around in Saboday, lost and malnourished. He had recognized her almost instantly.

It didn't matter that it had been nearly seven years since they last saw each other (she may have been an infant then, but Izo had omitted her face and expressions she'd made as a baby into his memory, plus she looked a lot like her mother he'd later said).

She didn't know who exactly he was, but she vaguely remembered his presence. Although, it felt like the memory belonged to a blurry dream that made absolutely no sense rather than her actually recognizing him. Izo had wept rivers upon finding her relatively safe and alive (he'd feared the worst).

Even if her mind was scarred beyond repair.

He'd promptly taken her to his captain, Edward Newgate, the infamous Whitebeard, where he pleaded for permission to take Mana with them. She couldn't remember much from that day. Her mind had been too foggy and muddled with overwhelming thoughts. Survival had been the only thing on her mind.

It didn't take a lot for Whitebeard to accept her, especially once he knew why Izo couldn't part from Mana. The girl was later declared to be Izo's adopted daughter and his own. It was insurance and a warning that the seven-year-old girl was under his protection - part of the family.

"I can almost imagine the sight of you trying to outrun a kid," Izo snickered, gracefully dodging a shoe that was sent at him on the courtesy of a fuming Mana (an action she seemed to be doing a lot these days).

She bristled, narrowing her eyes at him.

"Now, now," Mana blinked at the sudden hand on her head, it was Marco, who'd decided to spare Mana from Izo's amusement (even though he too found the entire thing to be amusing, not that he'd ever tell her so). "Mana-chan tried her best, didn't you-yoi?"