chapter eleven

Anakin's POV:

I failed her. She's going to die here, at the hands of this scumbag, and it's all my fault.

I failed her.

Vienna stood in shock, as I desperately searched for a way to assure her everything would be okay, but I couldn't lie to her, or to myself.

There was so much I wanted to say in that moment, so much I could've said, but I froze. I watched in disbelief as Vienna glanced down at the smoking hole in her chest, before she collapsed on the floor.

No. That lowlife is going to answer for what he did. He's going to wish he never set foot in this bar. He is dead.

My vision went red, the pain and guilt replaced with pure anger. I gazed at Vienna's lifeless body in front of me once more, before facing those worthless thugs. My chest burned, the sensation raged through my veins, any rational thought I had left was blanketed with the heavy cloud of anger.

I had them backed into a corner, nowhere to run, nowhere to hide. They were about to get exactly what they deserved.

Upon seeing the fire in my eyes, the cowards raised their blasters to sides of their heads, figuring the easy out would be better than dealing with me. They were right.

Using the force, I ripped both blasters from their hands, sending them straight into my own. I threw them onto the floor.

"You—" I roared, breathing heavily, "You are going to pay."

Suddenly, the room echoed with choking and gasps, as I held both of them against the wall with the force, my grip tightening and tightening until their bodies finally went limp.

Immediately letting go, I looked down at my hands, and then at the damage they had done in front of me.

Anakin, they deserved it. The voice in my heart told me, the voice that a Jedi wasn't supposed to listen to.

What would the Council say? What would Obi-Wan say?

"General!"

Rex yanked my arm, ripping me back to reality.

"General, Kix says he can help her. He just needs a place to work."

"Do you think we could get her back to the Temple?" I asked.

Next to Vienna on the floor was Captain Wolffe, who kept wondering how he was going to tell Master Plo, and Kix, the 501st's medic.

"No," Kix shouted. "We don't have time. I need somewhere close, but not here. Too many people."

"Guys, I think I can help," said an unfamiliar voice.

It was a woman's voice— the woman that got attacked by those assholes. She was still shaking.

When I didn't respond, she continued. "Please, you saved my life. I owe this to you."

I nodded hesitantly, scooping up Vienna's limp body. We did need help, but I didn't know if I could trust another local after that.

"My apartment is like three buildings down from here," Jaclyn announced, leading me out the door. Wolffe, Rex, and Kix followed.