And once I got up the hill and made it to my destination, I was out of breath. Running all this way and climbing up this quite steep hill was tiring. But I would have to get use to it. Since there is a war incoming in a few days.

But, when I eyed up the area, I felt my heart stop for a quick second.

Right there, in the center of where the birch sapling was placed in the tiny clay pot. Just beside it was Snowflake, on the ground, appearing to be resting.

A smile appeared on my lips. I was so happy that he was okay.

I walked up to him and crouched down beside him, petting his head.

"Hey, hey. Come on sleepy head. It's time for you to get up" I say

But there was no reply or response from Snowflake.

I just assumed he was sleepy, he gets like this whenever he gets too much exercise.
And so, I picked up Snowflake and carried him in my arms. I walked my way back to the carriage where we slept every night.
But, when I walked past Remi, he started to act different. He was moving more and being louder than usual. It wasn't normal to see him like this.

"What's wrong Remi?" I asked

Remi brought his face closer to Snowflake and nudged Snowflake's body, which I took a step back from the sudden pressure.

"H-hey, come on Remi. Snowflake's sleeping. Don't wake him up" I whispered to him

But, Remi continued to do so, he was insisting, which he almost never does. So, this was out of character for him.

I then continued to walk and managed to get inside the carriage, placing Snowflake on the other seat across from me to sleep peacefully.
With a smile, I laid myself down and closed my eyes, falling asleep shortly afterwards.

~~♠♣♥♦~~
Time Skip: Morning
~~♠♣♥♦~~

I let out a yawn when I wake up the next morning, I turned to eye up Snowflake who was still sleeping.

I exited the carriage and went to get some bread from Niki's bakery which was still open from when Fundy helped us get it open the other day.

As I entered it was empty. I thought Schlatt would at least be here like he is every morning, but he wasn't today.
I just shrugged it off though and walked over to the shelves to take two loafs of bread, leaving a little coin as payment despite there not being workers anymore.

With my two loafs in hand, I walked back to the carriage.
But upon entering, I still saw Snowflake asleep.

Now is when I started to get worried. He's usually up at this time, he doesn't normally sleep in... Especially when the smell of food is near by...

I then got closer to Snowflake and placed a hand onto his side and waited to feel a breath be taken from him. But....

There wasn't anything.

I continued to wait and wait. But, I didn't feel any movement from Snowflake at all.

And then, that's when I knew... 

He was dead.

I then turned to search the back of the carriage to find a shovel, which I found at the very back.
Taking the shovel, I tied it to my side with some string and it rested on my side very sturdy.

With a sigh, I picked up Snowflakes lifeless body and made my way out of the carriage. I made eye contact with Remi who had a sad look on him. I smiled sadly and made my way into the forest once more.

I walked for a while, I didn't know how far I wanted to go out, but I knew I wanted to go far enough away from Manberg to burry him.
And that's when I found a nice little place in the forest.
It had a nice forest clearing, but in the middle of the clearing was a one decently tall sized tree.

I walked towards it and placed Snowflake down.
I untied the shovel and began digging a hole.

It took a while, but after about twenty minutes, I made a hole deep enough for Snowflake to go into. Throwing my shovel to the side, I picked up Snowflake and placed him in the hole gently. I then proceeded to use my hands to push the dirt in the hole to fill it up once more.

After a while, Snowflake was fully buried. And I walked towards a nearby stone. It looked big enough to use as a gravestone.
So I picked it up, with a little bit of effort and I carried it back towards where I buried Snowflake. I set it down up against the tree and then sat down after placing it.

All I did now was stare at it.

I wonder what happen to Snowflake.

Was it because no one fed him? Was it because of over exhaustion? Or was it because of something else?

I swore I wasn't gone that long...

But he's dead now.

"I guess it was only a matter of time... Your life span was almost up anyways..." I muttered

It was probably just natural causes.

I the placed a hand on the fresh dirt I dug up not that long ago.

"I have to get going now... But I promise I'll see you again soon... A-and... I'll make sure to break the news to Karl... He really liked you..." I muttered

I then stood up and slowly began to walk back to Manberg.