“A friend invited me.” I replied briefly, not completely blurring out the truth.

“So, the man with you was the one who invited you tonight.” He stated rather than asked. “I didn’t know Hugh Burns knows a girl like you. But, since his brother knew who you are…” He continued, trailed off as I looked at him in surprise.

“You know Hugh?” I asked, a little breathless. I should have known from the moment Jon approached me. “Now, I should ask you the same question, what are you doing talking to me, Mr. Klein?” I countered after I cleared my throat, my voice gathering back its depth.

He grinned and winked at me before taking a sip from the whiskey glass on his hand. I continued to eyed him sternly, not ready to back down just yet. This guy is starting to get on my nerves every minute.

“Well… I can see you’ve already looked past my façade. I think it’s about time I’m dropping this act.” He started softly; his voice was low enough for me to mishear. “Hugh told me to meet you tonight. But, I assure you, he didn’t tell me who I was meeting until I saw him stand here with you a few minutes ago.” He admitted confidently.

My eyes grew wide at his words. I can’t believe Hugh set me up with a man who was almost identical to his devious nature. What the hell was he thinking?

“I think I should get going now. It was nice meeting you, Mr. Klein.” I said almost in clenched teeth as I placed my drink back down on the bar counter.

“Wait… I shouldn’t have told you any of this… I’m sorry.” He placed his drink down beside mine and grabbed my arm as he looked at me pleadingly. “It wasn’t supposed to go like this… I’m supposed to end the night by asking you out to dinner.” He admitted with a strained breath.

I eyed him in surprise, a little taken aback by this admission. Why was he being too truthful and open to me? And, he even admitted about his involvement with Hugh. There is more to this than what he is trying to show.

“Okay. I think I’ll take you up on your offer. You might be the first guy I met who didn’t annoy me as much as most of the men I’ve met in my life.” I stated seriously.

He chuckled at my words, which made me eye him in question. “I think you might me the most interesting woman that I’ve met. I thought Hugh was playing me, but this time, I owe that guy for introducing you to me.” He smiled smugly as he let go of my arm.

I rolled my eyes at his flattery. I turned towards the crowd of partygoers in front of us, regarding them grimly. “I think it’s time for me to go. Every minute I stay here, the more I’ll likely kill your friend from suggesting this night. But, don’t be insulted. You might be the first guy that made things more interesting for awhile.” I stated smugly and winked at him.

“I’m glad that I can be your entertainment.” He laughed in reply as I walked away from him.

“I’ll look forward to dinner. How about tomorrow? The sooner we have this, the better. I’ll have my secretary contact you where we will meet.” I called out as I stopped a few paces away from him.