Chapter 8 : Upside Down

WARNING⚠️ ⚠️  There will be some gore in this chapter. If you're sensitive to that sort of thing, (blood, death, intense description), here's your warning.

"Bonnie, hurry up. You're gonna be late for work!"

Bonnie had recently gotten a job at the local library. Her dad had been nagging at her to get a job ever since the first night she arrived in Hawkins. Working at the library was simple though. All she did was arrange books in alphabetical order, help customers find the book of their choice, check the books out for them, and stamp the due date on the inside of the front cover.

Bonnie pulled her hair up into a high pony tail and put some mascara on her eyelashes. She slipped on some high waisted, acid-washed jeans and a black turtle neck with black converse. She put in diamond stud earrings and a couple of silver rings on her fingers.

"Coming!" Bonnie yelled as she darted out of her room. She grabbed her keys in a hurry and quickly wrapped the toast that Susan made her in a paper towel. "Here, I made you coffee too." Susan said with a smile as she handed a cup to Bonnie. Bonnie grinned. "Thank you, Susan. You're a life saver." Bonnie hugged Susan quickly and she grabbed the cup.

Neil was sitting in the living room, smoking a cigar. He scoffed when he saw Bonnie. "Really? You're wearing that to work?" He muttered. Bonnie took a deep breath. "What's wrong with my outfit, dad?"

"Nothing other than the fact that you look like a whore."

Susan gasped. "Neil!" She hissed. Neil laughed. "What? Oh come on, Susan. Look at her!" He said as he gestured to Bonnie with his hands. Susan threw her hands up. "She looks fine. It's not like she's walking out in a bikini, Neil." Susan argued. Neil opened his mouth to protest but Susan shoved Bonnie out the door. "Come on, you don't want to be late. Here's your jacket. It's cold out," Susan said with a smile as she draped a coat over Bonnie's shoulders. "Thanks," Bonnie said quietly.

Susan nodded. She understood Bonnie wasn't just thanking her for the coat. "Anytime, honey. Have a great day, supper will be ready when you get home, I'll leave it in the oven to keep it warm. I won't be here, Neil and I have to go to a convention for his job this weekend. Billy's going to be here with you and Max if that's alright?"

"Sure. I don't have anything better to do."

Susan smiled. "I don't care if you guys go out or anything, just be inside the house before midnight, and make sure you guys eat three meals a day. Oh, and if one of you gets sick or hurt, just call me. And don't let Maxine spend all day at the arcade, those video games are bad for your eyes. And no fighting."

Bonnie laughed and patted Susan's shoulder gently.

"Okay. I think I got it, Susan. I have to go, I'm going to be late." She said with a smile. Susan planted a quick kiss on the side of her head. "Have a great day, honey." She turned and walked back into the house. Bonnie sat there, stunned. She hadn't been exposed to such motherly affection in years.

Bonnie's throat ached and tears pricked at her eyes. She shook her head and pushed the emotions to the back of her mind as she climbed in her candy apple red corvette and drove to work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Work went by slow. There weren't many people visiting the library. They were probably all at the arcade. So, Bonnie occupied herself with organizing books and stamping due dates on the inside of novel covers.

"Excuse me,"

Bonnie whirled around on her heels to be met by none other than Steve Harrington.