Chapter 40- Into the Cave

Start from the beginning

Opening her eyes, she was almost immediately blown over by a gust of wind and she held up her robes to avoid the ocean spray. She stood on a rock in the middle of the sea, Regulus having just appeared beside her.

"I could have used a bit of warning you know," Evelyn gritted her teeth as she ducked to avoid a wave of water.

Regulus ignored her as he stared at a massive cave looming to their right, its entrance a gaping hole that seemed rather forbidding. "If I don't come back, tell my brother I never stopped loving him."

Evelyn frowned, reaching over for Regulus's arm. "Reg, you're going back to tell him yourself." Swallowing nervously, she conjured a small boat to take them across the expanse of water. The wind blew their hair in front of their faces determinedly, ignoring any attempt Evelyn made of pulling it back. Stepping onto the rocky beach, she accepted Regulus's hand as he pulled her into the mouth of the cave.

It was pitch black besides a faint green glow that seemed to oddly illuminate the wall towards the back. The stone was sharp and jutted out at awkward angle, nearly causing Evelyn to impale herself. Regulus reached the end of the trail first, a bead of sweat dripping down his forehead as he took out his wand, creating a large gash in his hand.

Evelyn let out a cry of shock. "REGULUS!"

"The wall's been cursed," Regulus explained darkly, his eyes scanning the stone. "It needs a blood sacrifice."

Evelyn watched the boy's figure, noting his disturbing outlook on the possibility of his survival. Regulus didn't plan on coming back. "We need help." She reached over and closed her hand around the pendant on her neck. "I'm sorry Regulus, but I can't lose you."

There was a flash of light before Sirius appeared out of thin air, looking rather tan and thin. The bones stood out prominently on his face and Evelyn felt a stab of worry.

"I thought Remus would come."

Sirius frowned, still finding his bearings. "He gave me the necklace, stupid selfless man." His gaze fell on his brother, who was still clasping a bleeding hand. "Reggie?"

"You shouldn't be here," Regulus hissed, fixing Evelyn with a hateful glare. "I trusted you."

"And I've tried to solve problems on my own way too many times to let you make the same mistake," Evelyn bit her lip sending a glance at Sirius. "You can't do this alone."

Regulus turned around without a response, although Evelyn could see a small amount of tension leave his shoulders. Raising his hand, Regulus wiped his blood on the stone, the crimson stain glimmering in the halflight before the rock moved aside, revealing a large cavern.

Evelyn stared at the expanse of water, which was a sickly green and surrounded a small island in the middle of its depths. There was a flimsy-looking boat anchored at the dock on their side and she followed Regulus in hesitantly, shuddering at the inch of water already filling the bottom. As soon as Sirius stepped foot inside, the boat shifted and began to move of its own accord.

"So, does someone want to explain to me what's going on?" Sirius broke the silence, his grey gaze darkening. "Or do I just follow along with a Death Eater and a psycho?"

"Hey!" Evelyn retorted, glaring in his direction. "It's nice to see you too." Looking over, she saw that Regulus had refused to turn around, his gaze stoic and focused on the island ahead. She let out a sigh. "What do you know about Horcruxes?"

Sirius frowned, his face growing paler in the green light. "Mother mentioned them once. Said you had to kill for a way to immortality." He flicked his wand on his thigh irritably. "Didn't pay much attention though, most of what she said was a load of rubbish."

"Which is precisely why you don't know anything," Regulus snapped, finally turning around as they neared the shore. "The Dark Lord has created Horcruxes, how many I don't know, but definitely more than one. Until they are destroyed, there is no way of defeating him." He stepped out of the boat, not bothering to help Evelyn out this time. "One is the locket of Slytherin, which I've located here."

Evelyn followed his dark figure, her cloak dragging in the water as she stumbled over the rocks. Sirius grabbed her elbow to steady her and she looked at him gratefully. Peering over Regulus's shoulder, she saw him staring into a small basin, which was filled with a strange liquid. At the very bottom, there sat a silver locket, which glinted eerily in the dim light.

"Evanesco," Sirius muttered, waving his wand at the contents of the basin. The contents barely moved.

"Don't be an idiot," Regulus hissed, taking off his cloak and tossing it to the ground. "The Dark Lord wouldn't make it that easy." He rolled up his sleeves before bending down and taking hold of a shell. "Kreacher came here once before with him. I ordered him to tell me everything." His features twisted into an expression of pain. "He left him to die."

Sirius appeared unaffected, "that nasty creature—" he caught himself at the grimace on Regulus's face. "Alright." He wiped his hands on his jeans, which were so filthy it didn't seem to make a difference. "What do we do?"

Regulus shook his head, lowering the sea shell into the basin and filling it with the liquid. "Make sure I drink all of the potion, no matter what."

"What does it do?" Sirius lunged as Regulus brought the shell to his lips, snatching it from his hand. Before his brother could protest, the Gryffindor had tilted the contents to the back of his throat with a shudder. "Tastes like pumpkin juice."