Observing Him From Afar

🍭Eight year old Esme in picture🍭
              🍭 Esme's P.O.V 🍭

For as long as I could remember my life was shrouded in mystery. When I was eight years old I woke up with no memory of my parents or family or where I lived. All I knew was that I was all alone, I was in a some sort of dark warehouse with stacks and stacks of boxes. I walked over to one of boxes and read the name on the box, sounding out each letter.

"W-Won-ka" I whispered as I read "Wonka? What kind of word is that?"

Suddenly I heard footsteps coming closer, I gasped and hid around the corner behind a wall.

The lights came on in the room and I held my breath. What Kind of person lives here? I thought A killer? A kidnapper? A robber?

I was so scared, what if they find me and do something horrible to me?

I peeked around the corner and saw a man in a plum-colored coat and dark pink gloves. He had short brown hair and a red velvet top hat on his head, he carried a silver topped cane. He seemed to be inspecting the boxes, making sure everything was in order. He didn't seem to dangerous, he seemed quite friendly and very handsome.

While hiding behind the wall, I peeked around the corner again and saw he had the most beautiful violet eyes. But heart felt warm when I saw those eyes. I knew I was only eight but I think I was experiencing real, true, amazing love for the first time! A giant grin spread across my face.

I wonder what his name is? I thought to myself. I noticed he had a gold W choker around his neck, maybe his name must start with a W?

I wanted to go up to him and introduce myself, but I was incredibly shy. Besides, what if he didn't like children? And I didn't want to leave, where would I go if I had no memory?

I made a decision that day, that I would stay here with my crush, but stay hidden and silent until I get up the nerve to talk to him. All I needed was a name, I couldn't quite remember my name. But judging by the silver E necklace around my neck, I guess it stared with an E.

I wanted something unique for my  name... Erica? Emily? Emma? They all sounded to normal! Than I had it!

"Esme!" I whispered to myself "that's perfect!"

"Is someone there?" Asked my crush.

My breath hitched and I ran and hid behind some boxes. He peeked around the corner, shrugged and went back to his work.

I smirked from behind the boxes. "Nice try Mr. W" I said under my breath.

                        🍭🍫🍭

Over the next few weeks I learned a lot about my crush, for instance his name was Willy Wonka and he was a Chocolatier. It became easier for me to his around the factory, Willy was always so immersed in his work that he barely noticed me at all, but I'm fine with that.

And of course their was Willy's workers, the oompa loompa's. They're harder to avoid, since there was always a few around. But they haven't caught me yet.

I love living in the factory, there's so many rooms, so that it feels like I'm in a new place almost every day! But my favorite room is the library, it was filled from the walls to the ceiling with books in every subject. I love to sit in there and read bool by book. I even know fifty-eight languages from reading dictionaries. But my favorite activity is to walk with my crush, Willy.

Of course I keep my distance, I often follow him, but usually I'm hiding behind a machine or a corner or anything else that I can hide behind. I use the heating ducts to get around the factory faster, it takes me to all the rooms in the factory.

As for food, the chocolate room provides lots of candy and treats and sometimes I'll sneak some healthy food out of the kitchen supplies, but just a few so Willy won't notice. And sometimes the squirrels from the nut room are willing to share some walnuts with me. They're such sweet little critters!

In exchange for unknowingly putting a roof over my head, I'll often help Willy with his machines. I've read a bunch of books in the library about machine's so if one breaks the odd time and no one's around I'll sneak in and fix it the best I can.

Years passed this way, I grew taller and Willy's hair grew longer. But it was a good look on him. According to a book in measuring book I read once, I'm five feet and three inches and according to those measurments I'm around sixteen years old. I don't remember my birthday, so that's how I keep track of how old I am.

This morning I read a book I borrowed from the library about medicine and home remedies in the heating ducts. Down below me Willy was focusing on a crossword puzzle in the local newspaper.

"Hmm... what's an eight letter word for a wild horse?" He asked himself.

I thought about it. "Stallion" I answered.

"That's it!" He nodded. Then he remembered he was alone and looked around for the source of the voice.

I scooted away a little so he couldn't see me through the vent.

I loved Willy Wonka dearly, but I was still too shy and nervous to talk to him. I didn't even know what to say to him. What would I say? Hi, I'm Esme and I've secretly been living with you  and following you for the past nine years? I don't want to scare him!

I guess for now I'll just keep observing him from afar, just like I've always done...

AN: Let me know what you think by commenting! And a ☆ would be awesome too!