Chapter Eight: A Mother's Love

“So where are Kyle and Chell now?” I asked GLaDOS, taking a bite of the bread she supplied. The transparent box I was in moved steadily downwards like a gondola with the help of a bar.

“Test Chamber 18,” she replied. “There are 19 in total, so they’re almost finished.”

“Ah. And you’ll continue testing them after?”

GLaDOS sighed as the box landed on a cliff of debris, opening the door that confined me. “No, I’ll send all of you away. I don’t know what happened to me, but there was a spark that ignited within me. One that began when Chell came back here on her own terms. And I can’t let that happen again.” Her tone was bitter. “If I do, who knows what will happen to her?”

“I know, I know,” I murmured. “So why did you choose me to abduct?” Walking out from the box cautiously, I took the Oracle Turret in my arms.

“Because I think you’re the only one that can save her.”

*****

“What?” I asked incredulously. My grip on the Oracle Turret faded, and it tumbled off the cliff into nothingness. Then I gasped, trying to reach for the droid I killed.

“Don’t even think about it!” GLaDOS hissed. “It’s just a robot.”

“Last time I checked, you told me that robots have feelings too, right?” I dropped to the ground on my knees, stunned. “I killed it.”

“Things die,” she answered promptly but with a tone of sorrow.

I turned to her sharply. “Will you?” I demanded. “Or will you just live the rest of your life knowing that your daughter will grow old and die before you?”

Too far. GLaDOS shrieked in frustration before cooling down almost immediately. “Never again,” she said, “will you do that.”

“Sorry, Caroline,” I managed.

“Quite all right,” she responded weakly. “Can you save Chell?”

“I’ll do anything in my power to make it happen,” I promised, climbing into the box that led me up again. “What do I need to do?”

“You have to convince her to go back. Then I will send her up along with you. And remember that you can’t let the others know who I am.”

“How come?”

“Chell might want to stay. And if that happens, we’re done.” At the last word, GLaDOS sighed. “Thank you for doing this.”

“A mother’s love,” I choked out. “I get that. My mom must be worrying about me too.”

“Sorry about that. I’ll send you as soon as I can.”