34 𖠇 Pain is Temporary

Start from the beginning

I hear him adjust himself on the couch. "Can't sleep?"

I shake my head but recall that he can't see me. "Nope."

He turns on the flashlight on his phone and shines it at me. "Come here," he whispers. "Talking helps me sleep."

"You have school tomorrow," I remind him, not wanting to keep him up.

"And you don't?"

I do, but I don't feel like going knowing well that Oscar will be there first period.

"Just for a few minutes," he says, rubbing his eyes and yawning quietly.

I walk up to the living room and sit next to him now that he has changed from his sleeping position. As I sit and make myself comfortable, he throws the other side of his bedsheets at me to keep me warm.

"Keep in mind I might have morning breath," he says, scratching his arm.

I chuckle. "Toothpaste."

"Hmm?"

"Your mouth still smells like toothpaste, Harvey," I let him know. "You've only been asleep for an hour or two, I think."

"That's comforting to hear," he says. "So?"

I bring the covers up to my chest. "What?"

"What's going through your mind?" he asks, keeping his legs firmly down as I cross them underneath me. "Something is keeping you up."

I consider not telling him what went down today, but the night is long, and talking might do me good. There's no denying that.

"I think Oscar and I broke up," I finally admit it out loud. Reality sinks in with those words, but I manage to keep myself together. "Even though we never truly asked each other out, but it always felt like a close relationship we had."

Harvey remains quiet for a few seconds. "I'm sorry about that."

"It's fine," I lie. "Heartbreak is not a feeling I could've avoided all my life."

"First heartbreaks hurt the most," Harvey tells me. "You don't have to act strong, Theo. I know you're hurting."

I take a deep breath as my eyes begin to tear up. His words bring my sadness to the surface. "I— I think I am, Harvey," I admit to him, staring at my lap. "And I don't know how to make it stop."

I watch a teardrop land on my sweatpant, the material soaking it in to leave behind a dark spot.

"Instead of trying to make it stop, let it out of you," he says, scooting close to me. "Theo, whatever hurtful emotion you're feeling has to come out. Let it drain out of you."

I can't hold them back anymore, letting the tears escape my eyes and coat my cheeks.

"Always keep in mind that pain is temporary." And he's right. I just wish I had a time machine that can send me to a future where these feelings are long gone.

I wipe my nose with my sleeve but don't bother with my eyes since the tears keep coming.

"Come here." Harvey spreads his arms open, leaving his bare chest to view.

I don't mind it, though, collapsing into his body and letting his arms embrace me. And there's a consolation that his body gives me, making me unafraid to show my weakest self. With his warm skin enveloping me, I find my breathing slowing down and the tears coming to a stop. Nonetheless, the emotions I want to be rid of are still there, but they are tamed because of him.

"I'm getting you covered in tears," I tell him.

He chuckles, caressing my hair as he lays his chin over my head. "It's fine, Theo."

I close my eyes, and for a slight second, I almost drift to sleep over his body. Truth be told, his muscles are great cushions to lay on.

"You can sleep here if that makes you feel any better," he offers as I leave his arms.

"I don't think my mother would be pleased with that," I say, standing up from the comfortable couch. Before I walk to my room, I look at Harvey. "Thank you."

"Goodnight, Theo," he says, smiling.

"Goodnight, Harvey."

________
A\N: Please like and leave a comment! Also, #TeamOscar or #TeamHarvey.

Won't spoil the ending ;)

Totally random, but here's my tiktok: ever_xoxo

You can message me there!