Chapter 6- The Battle

Chapter 6

Eleanor's POV

"Cakes and kettledrums! That's your next big plan?" Trumpkin groaned looking at Peter, "Sending a little girl alone into the darkest part of the forest alone?"

"It's our only chance," Peter answered.

"And she won't be alone," Susan added.

"Eleanor can go with them too," Peter said then I cut him off.

"I will not," I said then turned to the girls, "Not that I don't love you."

"It's alright, Ellie. We get it," Lucy smiled.

Trumpkin walked over to her, "Haven't enough of us died already?"

"Nikabrik was my friend too," Trufflehunter stepped forward, "But he lost hope. Queen Lucy hasn't. And neither have I."

"For Aslan," Reepicheep said drawing his sword.

"For Aslan!" Bear said and Peter looked at him.

"I'm going with you," Trumpkin told Lucy.

"No, we need you here," she answered.

"We have to hold them off until Lucy and Susan get back," Peter said.

"If I may," Prince Caspian said standing up from beside the Professor, "Miraz may be a tyrant and a murder. But as king, he is subject to the traditions and expectations of his people. There is one in particular that may buy us some time."

----------------

Edmund, Glenstorm, one of the giants and I crossed the battle field to Miraz' camp. When we got there Edmund and I stood in front of them while Ed read off a scroll.

"I, Peter, by the gift of Aslan, by election and by conquest, High King of Narnia, Lord of Cair Paravel, and Emperor of the Lone Islands, in order to prevent the abominable effusion of blood, do hereby challenge the usurper Miraz to single combat upon the field of battle. The fight shall be to the death. The reward shall be total surrender."

Edmund rolled up the scroll once he was finished.

"Tell me, Prince Edmund..."

"King," Edmund corrected him.

"Pardon?" Miraz asked.

"It's King Edmund actually. Just king though. Peter is the High King. I know, it's confusing," Edmund explained.

"And what are you? I can tell by your rags you must be the High Queen?" Miraz smiled trying to make a joke.

"Actually it's Princess Eleanor the Wise," I said raising an eyebrow.

"Well tell me, King and princess, why would we risk such a proposal when our army could wipe you out my nightfall?" Miraz asked.

"Haven't you already underestimated our numbers?" Edmund asked, "Only a few weeks ago, Narnians were extinct."

"And you will be again," Miraz answered.

"Then you should have nothing to fear," I cut in.

Miraz laughed, "This is not a question of bravery."

"So you're bravely refusing to fight a swordsman half your age?" Edmund said and I had to keep from laughing.

"I didn't say I refused," he protested.

"You shall have our support, your majesty, whatever your decision," one of the Lords said.

"Sire, our military advantage alone allows us the perfect excuse to avoid..."