****

Jasmina Fawad

The giggles of my normally shy daughter could be heard all over the house, Ma Sha Allah, as her Dada Jaan chased after her, pretending to be a lion. It was hilarious to see my father-in-law like that actually.

Ever since we'd returned from Fariha's house, Hania had been in a happy mood, which increased when she saw her Dada Jaan waiting to play with her.

We were in the Ali family home living room, and Ammi (my mother-in-law) and I were sitting on the sofas drinking fresh orange juice.

"Ali, be careful!" Ammi cried out as Hani stumbled.

"Have no fear, Doctor Dada is here!" Papa scooped my daughter up, lifting her up in the air, causing her to squeal happily. 

I'd gotten into the habit of referring to my in-laws as Ammi and Papa. They were my Fawad's parents after all. 

"She loves it when Fawad does that as well." I smiled.

"Fawad ki yaad aagayi hia ise dekh ke." Ammi suddenly looked tearfully. 

*"I miss Fawad, looking at her." 

"Un ka sochain, Ammi. Akele unhe manage karna hi nahin aata ab." I sighed.

*"Think of him, Ammi. He doesn't know how to manage alone anymore." 

"Husbands get too used to their wives, right Ali?" Ammi teased her husband.

"You wish. We're actually at peace when our wives are way." Papa sat down, clearly worn out. Hani began to whine in protest.

"Hani, no!" I told her off, gently. 

"It's okay, beta." Papa smiled. "She has a right to complain to her grandparents." 

"As long as Hania's here, you and Fawad will not say a word to her." Ammi told me, firmly.

Hania put her small hands over her Dada Jaan's eyes and giggled.

"Hania kahan gayi?" He asked, in a singsong tone.

*"Where has Hania gone?"

When Hani removed her hands, he grinned. "Yeh rahi Hania!"

*"Here's Hania!"

My daughter giggled so hard that she started coughing.

"Ali, kya kar rahe hain?" Ammi stood up, tensed, and reached for Hania's sippy cup that was filled with water. 

*"Ali, what are you doing?" 

Papa was rubbing my daughter's back soothingly, and Hania started to giggle again. Suddenly she pounced at his glasses.

"Allah! Hania!" I groaned, but my husband's parents just laughed. 

"Dado sadqay jaayain gi apni Hani pe." Ammi smiled.

*"Dado can sacrifice herself for her Hania." It's kind of hard to explain, to be honest.

"I wonder how she'll react to her sibling." My mother-in-law wondered out loud. 

"How did Fawad react?" I asked, curiously. "When Fariha was born, I mean?" 

"He tried to run away to Arhaan's house." Papa replied, and all of us adults laughed. "He couldn't stand her." 

"Our babies have grown up so much, Ali." Ammi said, nostalgically. "They're parents themselves now. How time flies!"

I rubbed my belly under my dupatta. It was true. It seemed like just yesterday when Fawad and I got married, and now our second child was on its way. Ma Sha Allah and Alhumdulillah.