And even if he was, it was unlikely that he would choose her. He could choose anyone.

As soon as everyone else had left the room, Robin gestured to the sofa. "Please have a seat, Mr. Holmes. May I get you some tea?"

"Please."

"Help yourself to biscuits," she told him, "unless you prefer me to serve you."

He chuckled softly. "I am perfectly capable of selecting my own biscuits, thank you."

He sat and she poured two cups of the licorice tea she preferred. "Might I suggest an orange slice instead of a lemon slice, Mr. Holmes? It complements the flavor well."

"I suppose it wouldn't hurt me to be adventurous," he admitted.

She dropped in the orange slice and handed him his cup, biting her lip slightly as their fingers touched. She sat down across from him, smoothing her dress under her first.

"I am not foolish enough to think you are here to court me, Mr. Holmes," she began, getting the thought out in the open immediately. "What can I do for you?"

He finished his sip of tea and nodded. "You are correct, Miss Ballard. I am not here to court, as I never intend to marry anyone." He licked his lips and swallowed. "I am here to talk about what we discussed last night."

Robin smiled. "To be honest, Mr. Holmes, I'm shocked that you even remember my name. I was made to understand that you don't recall anything unworthy of your notice."

He smirked slightly. She tilted her head as she noticed a spot of brown in one of his strikingly blue eyes.

"I often remember even the most insignificant details, Miss Ballard. But you are incorrect if you think that you are unworthy of my notice. You're quite intriguing. I've not met many ladies as bold as you."

She narrowed her eyes, not sure if he meant his comment in a good or bad way. But she didn't ask for clarification, instead waiting for him to speak more.

But he didn't. Instead, his cheeks pinked slightly and he seemed embarrassed.

Suddenly, she laughed. He started, almost spilling his tea, the pink in his cheeks turning to red as he remembered how that sound had echoed in his dreams the night before.

She ignored his being startled and moved on. "I was correct, wasn't I?" she guessed. "You got nowhere with the ton."

"I did not," he confessed softly, clearly perturbed.

Before Robin could respond, Violet returned to the room. "Mr. Holmes, please forgive my neglecting you," she apologized. "I had other family business to attend to."

Robin assumed that Anthony had been thoroughly taken to task for his poor behavior.

"No forgiveness is necessary, Lady Bridgerton," he assured her. "Miss Ballard has taken very good care of me."

"I'm sure she has," Violet agreed. "She's an amiable hostess, Mr. Holmes, and would make an excellent match."

Robin kept her mouth shut. She couldn't bring herself to disappoint her aunt and reveal that Sherlock Holmes was not here to court her. He was the one who had paid the visit. He could tell her himself.

But, oddly enough, he didn't. He merely listened politely. Robin's brow furrowed curiously. She had no idea why he wasn't correcting her aunt's assumption.

"As you can see, Mr. Holmes, Robin is quite beautiful. She is also a very accomplished woman. She does impeccable needlework, and she is proficient on the pianoforte."

Robin grimaced slightly. While her needlework was impeccable, it was because she couldn't afford to buy clothes. She made all of hers herself, and that was hardly a selling point. She was also barely proficient on the pianoforte. She didn't have one at Norland, and even if she had, she wouldn't have had time to play it.

"She is very skilled at the running of a large estate as well. She is her father's sole heir, and their home, Norland Park, will go to her upon his death. I will be negotiating her dowry when an offer of marriage is made, and it will be considerable. And I can tell you from seeing her with my own younger children that she will make a wonderful mother, sir."

Robin drank her tea to hide her discomfort at having her praises sung, especially in front of a man who had no intention of marrying her.

Sherlock watched her from the corner of his eye. So far, none of the ladies he'd encountered in the ton had been averse to having their virtues extolled. He didn't know if she didn't like it simply because he'd made clear his intent to never marry, or if she didn't like it in general.

"I do believe all of those things are true, Lady Bridgerton," Sherlock responded graciously.

"Will you join us for luncheon, Mr. Holmes?" Violet offered, obviously hoping to extend Robin's time with him. "We would love to have you."

"That is very kind, but I am afraid I have an appointment to keep. I will be leaving shortly."

"Well, you must join us at another time. I insist upon it."

His eyes flicked to Robin. "I am happy to accept your invitation, Lady Bridgerton."

Robin frowned briefly, not at all sure what he was up to. He smiled, glad to be keeping her on her toes, since she seemed to think she understood his situation so well.

"Wonderful, Mr. Holmes. I will allow you two to say your goodbyes."

She stood and exited the room, leaving them alone once more.

"What is your intention, exactly, Mr. Holmes?" Robin inquired suspiciously.

He grinned and winked at her. "I do believe that shall remain a mystery to you for now, Miss Ballard."

She snorted and grinned right back. "You have more manners and more humor than I expected, sir."

"I'm always happy to surprise," he revealed, standing. "I shall see you again when I can, Miss Ballard."

She nodded and stood with him. "If you are having trouble with the ton, Mr. Holmes, you might want to start here."

She handed him one of their many copies of Lady Whistledown's gossip sheet. He rolled his eyes at her, but took it and tucked it into the inside of his jacket.

"Farewell, Miss Ballard."

"Farewell, Mr. Holmes."

She found herself standing alone a moment later, wondering exactly what had just happened.

She supposed she would find out later, but if she was being honest with herself, she wasn't particularly fond of waiting.