Part 13: Something to Think About

Start from the beginning

Reggie stops and assesses his friends faces, acknowledging the odd combination of fear, stress, and anger across them. He starts to talk again, this time apologetic. "I know it was stupid to stop and even think for a second that something is going on between you guys because, I mean, you would've said something about it by now if there was, right? I'm sorry I let him get to me like that. I know it was dumb to start yelling when he hasn't even really done anything wrong. I just got frustrated, I guess."

Alex and Luke look at each other and release the tension in their arms as they go to respond. "It's okay, Reggie." Luke says. "Yea, it's all good." Alex agrees.

"Let's just... let's just get the rest of this stuff into the van so we can head to the venue." Luke says. Reggie agrees, "You're right. I'll, uh, talk to Bobby real quick, too. Probably best if bandmates aren't fighting during a gig." he says. The three all go to grab the last of the stuff and before Reggie can walk out of the garage, Alex stops him.

"Real quick, uhm..." Alex begins, "Why, exactly, is Bobby so paranoid about something like me and Luke being together? Like, what's his damage?" he asks, trying to remain cool.

Reggie rolls his eyes, signaling that what he is about to say, even he himself thinks is nonsense. "He thinks that if you guys were in a relationship it'd put the band in some jeopardy because there would be too many feelings involved. That if you were together and then you broke up, it'd basically break up the band. Dumb, right?" he says.

"So dumb." Luke says. "The dumbest." Alex follows up. With that, Reggie exits the garage, puts what he was carrying into the back of the van, then gets in the passenger's seat of the van to talk to Bobby and resolve what happened.

Luke and Alex stand in the garage avoiding eye contact for a minute, absorbing what Reggie just said. Eventually they both look up and lock eyes, unreadable blank expressions on both of their faces.

It takes a honk of the van horn and the sound of the engine starting for them to come to and remember they don't have time to think about this right now. In silence, they pick up the last of the stuff, shove it in the back, lock the garage doors, and climb inside the van.

Other than the rock music blaring through the radio and the occasional clang of metal on metal, the ride was dead quiet.

---

7:40 p.m.

After a ride that seemed much longer than it actually was because of the silence, the guys got to the venue just before 5 o'clock. They met with the owner, talked with the DJ who would be going after them to play for the rest of the night, set up all of their equipment along with their instruments, and got in sound check. Somewhere in that time, the guys dropped the drama that happened back at the garage, and were right back into the flow of being friends.

It's now 20 minutes to 8:00. 20 minutes before they go on. The four stand in a dimly lit doorway in the back corner of the stage, watching the people start to enter. The place has only had the doors open for the past 10 minutes or so, but there was already a decent crowd forming towards the front of the stage.

The owner steps up on the stage and walks over towards the guys. "You guys must really be something special." he says to them. He nods towards the people on the floor, then continues, "This is about double the size of what I was expecting for an opening, and there's still a line goin' outside. Tellin' ya, you guys keep bringing in a crowd like this, might just have to keep you around.'' he tells them, then walks off.

The guys play it cool and professional until he is out of ear shot, then roll back out of the doorway to have a mini celebration in the small hallway.