Chapter 36- Order Meetings and Hope

Start from the beginning

"Thank you Alastor," Kingsley Shacklebolt stood to address the room, his dark skin contrasting beautifully with his purple robes. "We have had word that Voldemort is attempting to recruit his forces from places other than just wizards."

Evelyn stiffened as a small wizard popped up beside Kingsley, his expression somber.

"So far we have confirmed reports of giants, centaurs, and werewolves all being approached by his men."

Evelyn caught Remus's gaze. The boy looked rather pale, his scars standing out more in the dim light. She felt a stab of worry. Surely it wasn't time already.

"I have a team lead by Meadows to address the giant problem," Kingsley continued, scanning the Order with a dark gaze until his face rested on Evelyn. "And the centaurs seem to be disinterested in supporting either side. However, I believe it is time we send a spy into the werewolf dens."

Evelyn swallowed, trying to keep the fear from her eyes as she twisted her gloves in her lap. She had known it was a possibility, but not now.

"Miss Snape," Kingsley's voice was gentle as the other Order members turned in her direction. "I have been told you have been prepared for this mission."

"Yes," Evelyn's voice trembled slightly and she took a deep breath, steadying herself. "I can."

"WHAT?"

The attention turned to James, who had stood at the table abruptly, his eyes wide. "You can't be serious." He turned to glare at Kingsley, "there must be someone else."

"I am afraid there is not," the Auror responded simply, a sadness in his eyes.

There was a large bang as Moody slammed his staff on the ground, causing the murmurs to cease. The man leaned forward, keeping one eye on James and the other on Evelyn. "Snape is perfectly capable of handling the task," he grunted, taking a large swig out of his flask. "Wouldn't be sending her if I thought otherwise."

Evelyn felt a warm flush of pride, sending the Auror a weak smile.

"You job will be to keep an eye on the pack and report any strange activities," Kingsley continued, his deep voice strangely comforting. "We have prepared methods to extract you, should things not go our way." He lowered his tone further, fixing her with stare. "It is crucial that you keep your distance from Greyback."

Evelyn swallowed, nodding her head. "Planned on it."

"Greyback?" Remus seemed oblivious as the Order turned to look in his direction, his eyes dark. The Gryffindor shook his head, his voice hoarse. "No."

A ball of horror formed in her stomach as Evelyn's eyes opened in realization. "You too," she whispered, meeting Remus's gaze in shock.

There was a heated silence before Sirius gritted his teeth, stamping out his cigarette on the table, causing ash to fly everywhere. "How long will she be gone?"

Moody leaned on his staff, a weariness in his face that Evelyn had not seen before. "Could be anywhere from three to six months."

Evelyn bit her cheek harshly, causing blood to fill her mouth. Swallowing down the taste, she tried not to grimace.

"Absolutely not," Sirius shook his head, long tendrils falling out of his low bun. James sat next to him in silence, looking rather pale.

"It's fine," Evelyn managed a smile, feeling Fabian squeeze her shoulder in reassurance. "I'll be okay, Siri."

"And if you're not?" the Gryffindor raised an eyebrow challengingly, although Evelyn could see the pain in his eyes.

"Then that's a chance I'm willing to take," she responded softly.

---

After the meeting had ended, Evelyn stood quickly in an attempt to disappear into the throng of Order members.

"Evelyn, dear," Fleamont Potter extended a hand, pulling her to a stop. "Could we have a word?"

Evelyn turned to face him and Euphemia, the kind couple smiling at her comfortingly. James hovered behind them, looking anywhere but her face. "Yes?"

"Fleamont and I would like to invite you to the Christmas party we're having in a couple weeks," Euphemia squeezed her hand, a sad expression on her face. "Before you leave, it might be nice to see all your friends again."

Evelyn blatantly stared at James, willing him to look at her. The dark-haired boy refused and her smile warbled. "I don't know if that's the best idea, Mrs. Potter. But thank you."

"Evelyn." Fleamont's tone was firm as he clapped his son on the back, forcing James to look forward. "We would love to have you."

Sirius appeared over Evelyn's shoulder, the smell of tobacco pungent in the air around him. "And if you don't," the Black smirked dangerously. "I'll combine efforts with the Prewetts and drag you there anyways."