Chapter 30- Six Months Later

Start from the beginning

"Keep the flirting to youself, Prewett," Moody grunted, although he did look rather pleased. "At least there's some tolerable news."

"Dumbledore said you went into hiding."

Evelyn stiffened, but forced herself to look in the direction of the voice. James sat next to Lily, looking more mature and collected than the version she had left. His hair was a bit shorter and there was a bit of stubble on his chin, although his eyes hadn't changed at all. She looked down to avoid the angry hazel.

"I did. Sort of," she looked over to where the Headmaster sat, watching the scene with interest. "I had no idea you all would be here."

"Neither did I," Moody grumbled, thumping his staff on the floor. "I could do with some explanations."

"Ah, Alastor, patience," Dumbledore waved his hand, a rather frustrating smile turning his lips. "All will be revealed." He turned to look at the Marauders. "These five have come to me, demonstrating their interest to join to Order."

Evelyn felt a stab of panic.

"Already?" Fabian raised an eyebrow teasingly in their direction. "Aren't you whippersnappers a bit young?"

Sirius stiffened, distaste gleaming in his silver gaze. "Seems like she," he jutted his chin in Evelyn's direction. "Is already involved."

"Involved?" Fabian grinned wryly, wrapping an arm around Evelyn's shoulders. "This here is Britain's youngest Auror."

"Not yet!" Evelyn corrected, shooting him a worried look as she saw the Marauders stiffen. "In training."

"Euphemia and Fleamont," Dumbledore turned to James's parents, who never missed a meeting. Evelyn had grown quite fond of both, who had not hesitated to take her under their wing. "What is your opinion on this matter?"

Fleamont cleared his throat, his hair smoothed back and eyes shining wisely. "We know our sons," his gaze flickered to James and Sirius, "are eager to join the war. And we commend them for their efforts." He placed a comforting hand over his wife's. "However, we believe their schooling is the biggest priority and they should not make such decisions until they graduate."

"WHAT?" James stood defiantly, anger flashing across his face. "I should be the one to make that decision."

"QUIT YELLING!" Moody roared, spittle flying out of his mouth. James looked rather speechless, opening his mouth several times before taking a seat. The auror sighed, "Albus if you ever give me a teaching position.."

"I will note your extreme displeasure for students," Dumbledore beamed from where he was seated, his beard glowing in the candlelight. "Although I commend your work with Evelyn."

Evelyn felt a faint blush on her cheeks as the Headmaster turned to address the other members.

"There is little I can offer you besides words of hope. Every action," he peered at James over his spectacles. "No matter how small is of great value. And one cannot tell which will lead to change our future. I wish you safe travels."

One by one, the Order disapparated, fading from the dining room until few were left. Dumbledore stood, smoothing his purple robes before looking at Evelyn. "I do believe you finally owe your friends some explanation." He tipped his head in her direction cheerfully. "Best of luck."

Evelyn looked over from where he had disappeared towards the Marauders. Peter stared at her in confusion, his blue gaze alternating from hers to the floor. Remus just looked angry, fidgeting with his tie. Sirius had already begun to pace back and forth, his hair streaming over his shoulders. Lily looked like she was about to cry. James was.. well she didn't know what to think. He refused to look in her direction.

"You need any help rounding up these mentals?" Fabian leaned over, his tone light but expression serious.

"No, thanks," Evelyn found her voice and blinked at the ginger gratefully. "I'll see you and Gid in a bit."

The man nodded, pulling on the wrinkled collar of his robes. "I'm going to change out of this bodysuit."

Evelyn stared at the floor as his footsteps echoed down the hall, trying to gather her thoughts. Finally, she looked up and sighed, settling into her usual place at the table. "What do you want to know?"

Sirius stared at her. "Are you serious?" His tone was scathing. "You disappear for months without explanation—"

"I was going to have to leave anyways," Evelyn met his gaze steadily, biting her lip. "You know that. And Dumbledore told you I was safe."

"Because chasing down Death Eaters is safe?" James snapped, his gaze flashing. Evelyn noticed his glasses were a bit different, they had thicker frames.

"Safer than the alternative," Evelyn toyed with one of her gloves, twisting its fingers. Her gaze fell on Remus, who was doing the same with his tie and she felt a wave of shame. "How have you all been?"

Remus looked up, noticing her gaze. He scanned her expression as his eyes softened, melting into the warm chocolate colour she used to know. "Alright."

Evelyn bit her lip, digging in the pocket of her robes. "I know now isn't the best time, but the Twins have been developing products." She took out a small green tube and held it in his direction. "This helps with scarring."

"Then what happened to your face?" Sirius retorted, his expression unforgiving.

Evelyn flinched slightly, barely keeping her hand from touching her cheek. "I'd rather not talk about that now."

"What would you like to talk about?" James's voice was low.

"Actually, I would like to talk to Lily," she responded, not meeting his gaze. "If you all don't mind."

One by one, the boys shuffled out, Sirius and James rather reluctantly. Then there was a deafening silence. Evelyn chewed on her lip, unable to find the right words.

"How have you been?" Lily's voice was quiet, but the redhead reached her hand over slowly.

Evelyn stared at it for a second before looking up into her friend's eyes. Her emerald gaze was a bit sad, but still full of its familiar warmth. She leaned over and wrapped her arms around Lily's shoulders, squeezing her gently. Lily returned the embrace immediately and Evelyn laughed as both had tears glimmering in their eyes.

"We're a mess, aren't we," Evelyn wiped her cheeks ruefully. "Mad-Eye would tell me to stop blubbering and get on with it."

Lily frowned, confusion creasing her forehead. "Mad-eye?"

"Moody," Evelyn added quickly, "Fabian and Gideon call him that when he's not listening." She smiled. "I think he always does though." She caught Lily's expression and clapped her hand on her forehead. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't be droning on about that. What I really want to say to you is I am so sorry." She twirled her wand on the table. "I should never have let that come between our friendship and I am sorry I left it hanging the way it did. I've missed you so much."

There was a pause before Lily let out a sigh, shaking her head. "I should be angrier with you, leaving like that. But," she paused, an honest look in her eyes as she stared at Evelyn. "More than anything, I just want my friend back."

Evelyn smiled softly. "Me too." She leaned forward and embraced the girl once more, hugging her fiercely and pushing aside any questions of James. She really didn't want to know.

Lily stood, sliding her chair politely under the table. "I better get the boys. We have to go shopping tomorrow in Diagon Alley." She peered at Evelyn cautiously. "Should I tell them you want to talk?"

"No," Evelyn shook her head determinedly. "I think its best that we don't."

"Why?" Lily looked down awkwardly, pulling on the hair tie surrounding her wrist. "James I understand for right now, but the rest—"

"Are all connected to him and have their own personal tensions, whether it be Regulus or a shared pain of Full Moon," Evelyn paused. "And I don't think Peter likes me. Really," she insisted, catching Lily's doubtful expression. "It's for the best."