Chapter 26- Nerves and Quidditch

Start from the beginning

"No," Lily shook her head, sending a gentle smile at her friend, although her gaze seemed distracted. "No matter what colour you wear, you belong in Slytherin." She grabbed Evelyn's hand and gave it a comforting squeeze as they left the Gryffindor tower. "In all the best ways."

Evelyn stiffened as they headed towards the Quidditch pitch, noticing Severus standing with Avery and a few others, who were huddled together and muttering darkly. "Is there a good way?"

"Well, if it isn't the halfbreed," Avery turned as he saw Evelyn and Lily walk past. His dark eyes glimmered with malice. "Rumor has it Potter felt so bad for you, he asked you out to make himself feel better."

Evelyn bit her tongue, striding forward across the grass.

"You know, even Gryffindor's pity only goes so far." Avery followed her, his tone low and nasty. "I figure hairy monsters cross that line." Seeing Evelyn flinch, a smirk grew on his face. "Tell me, thinking of inducting Potter on Full Moon? Then you won't be alone—"

There was a harsh smack and Evelyn spun around to see Lily with her wand raised, her eyes flashing murderously. Avery scrambled to his feet from where he had been slammed into a tree, a trickle of blood weaving down his forehead.

Cursing, he spat out a mouthful of dirt. "You little—"

"What?" Lily snapped, hey hair blowing fiercely in the wind. "Mudblood? Don't tell me that's the best you can do." She turned, stalking off towards the Quidditch pitch.

Evelyn watched her in shock, before jogging down the hill to meet her. There was a moment of silence as they walked into the stands together, ducking through the crowds. Then, Evelyn bumped the redhead's shoulder, a grateful smile growing on her lips. "That was wicked."

"Oh," Lily flushed, looking down in embarrassment. "It was nothing. I just couldn't listen another minute."

"Thank you," Evelyn replied simply as they squeezed in next to Remus and Peter, who were sharing a package of chocolate wands happily.

"What did Lily do?" Peter looked up in curiosity, a smudge of chocolate at the corner of his lips.

Remus examined Lily's and Evelyn's guilty expressions before shaking his head, "I don't think we should ask."

"Right, thanks," Evelyn sat down next to Peter, sending the boy a pleading look. "Can I have one?"

"Of course!" Peter passed over the sweets, grabbing another for him and Remus. He noticed her Gryffindor attire, his eyes widening in surprise. "Did you get sorted again?"

"What?" Evelyn looked down in realization and she laughed. "No, Lily and Sirius just thought they would play makeover."

"You're lucky it turned out as good as that," Remus grimaced as he chewed his chocolate thoughtfully. "Last time Sirius was involved, I ended up with a bald head."

Instantly, Evelyn reached up a hand to pat her hair nervously. "Wait," she began, after making sure she was not going hairless. "I never asked how you all got your nicknames." Remus and Peter stiffened, causing the frown to grow on her forehead. "You know, Padfoot and Wormtail and.." she trailed off sheepishly. "Actually, Moony makes sense."

"Which is why I will never understand why you didn't realize earlier," Lily looked over from where she had been watching the players. She grinned teasingly, "guess I'm just smarter."

"I can't even argue with that," Evelyn grumbled, adjusting her mittens. "You would think I would have connected the dots, being a werewolf too."

"Can we not discuss this here?" Remus looked back at the crowd behind them, his face pale.