Once I got to the library, I sat my bookbag on a table and began to pace the shelves, looking for a book on Potions.

I passed Hermione, who was quite absorbed in her book on Astronomy, and gave her a little bump of hello. She looked up, irritated, but her face softened as she recognised me. I plucked a Potions for Beginners book off a shelf and settled at the table next to her, the two of us perfectly content to read in peace.

I looked up as she flipped her book shut, catching a glimpse of the dark night sky through the windows.

"How long have we been in here?" I asked with amazement, glancing down at my half-finished book.

"A while," Hermione replied softly. "We should leave soon if we don't want to get in trouble for being out after hours."

I nodded and tucked the Potions book back onto the shelf, following Hermione out and into the corridor.

We walked together in silence, passing a Hufflepuff student asking a Beauxbatons student to the Ball.

"Have you been asked yet?" I asked, my eyes on the pair of students.

"Not yet, no." Hermione was watching them, too. "Have you?"

"No," I admitted. "But it's only been a few hours since they've announced it, hasn't it? We've still got time."

Hermione hummed in agreement, deep in thought.

* * * * * *

All of Slytherin house was crammed into the Potions classroom, the desks nowhere in sight. Professor Snape stood before us, looking grim.

"The Yule Ball is a Triwizard Tournament tradition intended to encourage comradery and friendship between the competing schools." His voice was flat. "I am required to remind you, however, that the Ball is first and foremost a dance, and thus each of you will be receiving dancing lessons to prepare you for this... affair."

His words were met with mixed reactions from the students, a few voices raised in protest. Jamie and I snickered quietly.

"Imagine," I muttered to her. "Gryffindor house has to do this with McGonagall."

"Not sure which is worse, honestly," she replied under her breath.

"This is non-negotiable," Snape said sharply, silencing the classroom. "Now, each of you will select a partner to practise with, and we will go over the steps."

There was a pause as we all hesitated.

"Now," said Snape.

We all stood, the room suddenly filled with panicked searching. I turned and nearly crashed into Miles, who extended his hand to me. "Partners?"

I took his hand with a grin. "You're going to regret this. I'm a terrible dancer."

"I'm rather good at it, I think," said Miles. "Maybe I can teach you a thing or two."

Snape flourished his wand, and music began to play. We all struggled to follow his instructions, cries ringing out as toes were stepped on. Miles pulled me close to him to avoid trampling a pair of third-years, and I laughed as I caught sight of Jamie glaring at Lucian for tracking mud on her shoes.

"This is chaotic," I observed, and Miles nodded in agreement.

Snape did not look pleased at the sorry state of our dancing. He continued to count off, pacing the front of the classroom as we all fought to keep up.