Chapter 34

Michelle

“Y’all gon’ make me lose my mind, up in here, up in here, y’all gon’ make me go all out, up in here, up in here, y’all gon’ make me act a fool, up in here, up in here, up in here, y’all gon’ make me lose my cool, up in here, up in here” -DMX

When I walked in the dining room, the first thing that got my attention was the seating arrangement. I sent a silent prayer of thanks that Chunks stepped in and had my back like he said he would. My parents were seated at each end of the table, and on one side sat Chad, Emmitt, and Melanie, and on the other side sat Chunks and the other two seats next to him would be reserved for me and Bey. I walked over to my seat and sat down in a huff next to Chunks, annoyance and anger clearly written on my face.

Chunks leaned over, “I hope this seating arrangement is alright, I had to give Chad a stare down and sweet talk Mama a bit, because they both insisted that he sit next to you, but I wasn’t having it. I just made it a big deal that since Mama invited him, then he should sit by her. I’m sitting here as a middleman, just in case anything pops off,” he whispered to me. I sighed as I thanked him gratefully, unfolding my napkin and putting it in my lap.

My dad took notice of my entrance and gave me a concerned look, “Baby Girl, is everything alright?” he asked me, giving me a pointed look over his glasses.

I sighed as I nodded, “Yeah Daddy, everything is fine, I just came across a few misunderstandings, but it’s nothing I couldn’t handle, it just frustrated me a little bit, but I’m fine now,” I said giving him an assuring smile, “Are you ready to carve this turkey?” I asked, changing the subject.

He smiled happily, “I sure am, I would have liked it more if it was fried, but I won’t complain, because there are people out there who unfortunate to have turkey in any form, but we just pray for them and hope that they’re still able to have a great and safe holiday. I’m just happy to be here, with my beautiful daughter in her beautiful home, with the rest of my beautiful family. I’m a blessed man,” he said gratefully, making me smile genuinely. Sometimes I wish I possessed my dad’s outlook on life, and sometimes I think I do, but it’s still not like him. He takes optimism to a whole new level; some people see the glass as half full, other people see it as half empty, but my dad would say he’s just happy he has the ability to see the glass.

I was about to respond when Mel walked in, with a forced smile on her face, but I could still see a hint of fear in her eyes. She sat down next to Emmitt, not saying a word, and a few seconds later Bey walked in, finally making her presence known to everyone else. My dad being the southern gentleman he is, immediately stood to greet her, “Hello everyone, Happy Thanksgiving!” she announced with a smile as she first went over to greet my mother because she was closest to her, and I almost fell out at the look on my mother and Chad’s face. Chad’s face turned ghostly pale and for a second, he looked like he was either going to throw up or pee on himself.

Even though my mother was smiling on the outside I could still tell that she was anything but happy right now. One thing my mother hates more than being wrong, is being shown up or feeling like she’s no longer in control of a situation, especially one she created, “Beyoncé, what a lovely surprise,” she said, clearly lying through her teeth, “Shouldn’t you be spending time with your family, it is Thanksgiving after all, a day meant to be spent with your family,” she reiterated.

Bey only laughed, “Well my family celebrates the holidays a little differently, we get together early in the morning and then we have dinner by noon. I think it’s safe to say I’ve seen more than enough of my family today. Besides, Michelle invited me over, and since you all normally have a late dinner, I knew I would be available to join you. But speaking of family, Pastor Johnson, shouldn’t you be spending time with your family? I know you’re normally so busy with the church and everything, but this is the first time you should have the ability to do that, right?” she asked knowingly, and I watched as he visibly grew nervous and his ears grew red, something that tended to happen when he’s been caught. I furrowed my eyebrows, because his reaction to that question meant that there was more to that than meets the eye, and they knew something I didn’t.