Chapter Nine~ Birthday

Start from the beginning

It took a while to get to the exit from the third level. Sophia crushed herself over the fact everyone was so nice to her. The first time Sophia walked out of the hospital was a warm day a spring like evening.

They got into the truck and went to the park, the best way to enjoy the weather and her freedom. Sophia breathed in the fresh clean air of the outdoors, not the cooled recycled air of her room.

“How do you like your birthday so far?” Her mother asked.

“I didn’t even know today was my birthday until a couple of days ago.” Sophia replied and looked at her mother with sad eyes, “Sorry.”

“You have n-nothing to be sorry about.” The women voice cracked at the end and she turned away. Her father sighed and pulled into the parking space.

They meet the Spire family and Kathleen at a picnic table, placing a table cover over the table. Andrew brought two picnic baskets full of food and drinks.

Everyone sat around the table, Mr. Spire insisted that they say grace before eating, as well as praying over Sophia’s health.

“Thank you, Mr. Spire.” I say after words giving him a small smile. Taking a glimpse of Mom and Dad giving each other a nod of approval.

We ate and talked about things happening around the area, I didn’t talk much, every now and then when my twin brothers asked me too.

“I have something to give you.” I turn around to see the Spire’s only son, Andrew, and Sophia stepped over the bench.

“I’ll be back soon.” She tells her mother, Kathleen joins us and we walk with Andrew around the park. Not speaking, just enjoying the view of the park. She did talk much to Kathleen when she was around. Andrew says we were BFF’s, but seeing her doesn’t bring any connections.

“I know you don’t know who I am or anything.” Andrew finally said, “But we know about you, Sophia.” Kathleen nodded quickly as she wraps her arms around herself but doesn’t say anything.

“You use to write in a diary before the accident...” That caught her attention, no one told her about a diary. “You wrote in it about once a day, sometime twice a day.”

He go on to tell her about the accident, what happen then and after that. Kathleen spoke very little about their unknown friendship, mostly information. Andrew told her about every time she improved in some way. That he had kept up her diary for her...

“I bought two journals, my hand writing isn’t as small as yours.” He held out the two of his and my diary. “I’m glad, that I could finally let you know about your self- Just remember, nothing that happened to you before is the same.”

She held the purple diary close, the familiar touch to it. Warmth flooded her, hope.

“Thank you, Andrew.” Sophia truly smiled this time, bringing the light into her eyes. Turning to Kathleen she gave her and awkward hug, but Kathleen took this moment to hug her tight. A hug I didn’t know how to return. The happy little girl skipped over to her with a grin while Kathleen let go with tears in her eyes.

Your smiling! Your going to get better I know it!

“What is your name?” She asked the little girl, all the while Andrew and Kathleen stared confused.

That doesn’t matter now, you have to go and take your meds, please now, Smiley.

“I don’t want to take medicine any more, little girl.” She frown as the girl walked away and disappeared.

“Sophia, what’s going on?” Her brows kit togeather in worry.

“The little girl came back, I haven’t seen her in a long time.” He looked at the time on his watch, 12:30.

“She didn’t take her prescription drugs, come on lets go.” Kathleen grabbed her elbow and turned her to walk back to the picnic table, but she didn’t move.

“I don’t want to!” Andrew become worried and called for the parents, they were to far to hear.

“Sophia you have to!” Kathleen said scared now.

“No! I...I don’t...” She started swaying letting the books fall to the grass, Andrew caught Sophia before she fell to the ground.

Andrew didn’t think about what just occurred, he just lifted her into his arms and ran. Kathleen started after him

“What happened?!” He nearly tripped when he ran into a foot hole.

“She needs her medicine now!” They ran to the parents slid everything off the table and Andrew laid Sophia down. 

“Someone hold her still, please.” Ms. Ryan produced a syringe and quickly ejected it into the crease of her elbow. As quickly as the needle went in she pushed on the piston then slipped it out.

“Someone get her a glass of water.” Later after Sophia woke up from the faint, Andrew went back and got the journals. Placing them in one of her birthday bags.

They left to bring her back to the hospital and explain what occurred at the park. I hoped that she continued to take medication to avoid the hallucinations again.