The Execution

It was two days before Valentine's Day and Lola was shopping for her own groceries to make her own meal for the first time in what feels like many, lost years. She was buying ground beef, onions, carrots, and white wine to make a beautiful pasta for Rico. The wine had arrived perfectly on time for her to try it before Rico could see it.

Rico had been gone on a business trip for a couple days, but he promised Lola that he'd be there to make dinner. She really pressured him by telling him how important it was to her that she did this one thing for him on Valentine's Day. But, in her eyes, it couldn't be more perfect. He's gone, away from the house so he won't see what she's up too. Whenever he isn't at home with her, she's the one in command of everybody working. He's made her his queen of the castle and of course she uses it to her advantage. They grant her privacy whenever she needs it.

The day he said he would return, she goes to his secret closet with secret weapons that he doesn't use very often. There is a syrup in there that Rico has used to kill someone by slipping it in a drink; It was way quieter and way harder for Rico to be linked to the killing. She stole it and hid to use for her special dinner. She wanted a strong wine so the taste was easy to mask. This is how she'll give Tony's death some justice. Since she's the only reason he's dead, in her eyes, she's the only one who needs to do it.

Rico is welcomed home to the sweet smell of home cooking and his beautiful girl waiting for him. He greets her with a kiss and says,
"Why did it take so long for us to do this?"
She replies with a smile as she goes back cooking the meal.
"Go get comfortable I'll pour us some glasses of wine," Lola says to him as he walks to their room upstairs. Lola requested for the staff to take the evening off, so it was just them all alone. She pours her glass first and smiles to the sweet smell of abuelita's cooking. She then pours a glass for Rico, leaving some space in the glass for her topping... or add-on. Lola sets his glass on the dining table where his seat is waiting.

He returns to the kitchen to her waiting by the table for him to clink her glass in celebration.
"To us, my love," she looks up at him as she sips her glass.
"To you, the greatest woman I've experienced," he responds to her and he sips his glass. His face furrows in enjoyment to the extra aged wine. He sits down with his glass and asks:
"So, what made you think of this idea for tonight?"
Lola looks down at her pasta and remembers how she would tell Tony all about the wine her mother sent. How she told him the stories of her parents falling in love at dinners with that wine. He would tell Lola how he'd be the luckiest man if he could share a glass of it with her. The things he said he would gift her for Valentine's Day, how he pleaded to take her out as his Valentine. But she was stubborn because all she wanted to do was dance at the club. At least Tony was still there to watch her shine.

Lola found herself just dragging on about Tony and how she planned to do this for him when they were married with kids every single Valentine's Day or birthday or anniversary. She found herself with rivers flowing down her cheeks confessing her love to the man who stole it right from under her; And there wasn't a sound. Not one response came from his lifeless body. She turned around to face his corpse. His head was lying back in the his chair and his arms were sprawled out to the side. She felt her tears dry up and felt Tony's warmth flow inside of her. Justice was served, and Lola can make her way back to Tony the way she's wanted to all this time.