A Call With Shadow

After an hour, Graham left the office room, carrying a notecard describing his new assignment.

  The note said as followed:

  Agent Graham Hawkins, due to recent events in Singapore and Monaco, ACME faculty has decided that you are to withdraw from your current assignment, and reside at ACME Headquarters Asia, in Kyoto Japan, for your safety and best interest. 

  You are to personally assist Faculty Member Hayashi Ono as her personal assistant and secretary, where you will help with directing, managing, and communicating with ACME agents in Asia, Australia, and Oceania, as a result of your skill and knowledge on V.I.L.E. and Carmen San Diego.

  You are to catch your flight on Wednesday, the 14th of March at 8:00 am. 

  Be ready and at the airport twenty minutes in advance.

  Best, 

The ACME Team.

  Devineaux was understandably upset.

  "How are you to leave me alone with Zari?" He asked, desperately. "You can't go! I will not survive!"

  Zari crossed her arms. "And what does that mean, Devineaux?"

  "It means I am to suffer," he said dramatically, putting a hand to his forehead and extending his other arm to the heavens.

  Zari rolled her eyes and looked at Graham. "Because this fool is throwing a tantrum, I will be the first to congratulate you. Although you won't be on the field, to be a personal assistant to ACME faculty should be a great honor."

  Graham sighed, "It should be, shouldn't it?"

  Zari raised an eyebrow, "Is there a problem?"

  "Well," Graham explained, "First off, I'm going to miss you guys. I'm not sure how you feel, but I consider you my friends now."

  Devineaux gave a small smile, Zari tilted her head curiously.

  "Second," Graham continued, "Being on the surveillance squad gave me a reason to look for Carmen, who happens to be the only link to the year I lost. Without her, I'm not sure if I'll ever get my memories back."

  Zari looked solemn. "Yes, unfortunately, that's likely true."

  "And third?" He said, "Hayashi Ono is kind of scary."

  Deveinaux raised an eyebrow, "More scary that Zari? Impossible! OW!"

  Zari had elbowed him in the chest.

  Graham chuckled, "That's true, Chase."

  Eventually, they parted ways so that Graham could start packing his bags.

  He found his room, and slumped on the bed, looking at the ceiling. What was he going to do?

  He turned his head to his few belongings. A duffel bag of clothes, his ACME pen, sunglasses, Carmen's red rabbit... And his phone.

  Man, how long had it been sense he scrolled the internet?

 You know, like a normal person?

  He picked it up. He opened safari, and looked at recent News.

    "French President visits Peru.... New species of mushroom discovered in Kansas, United States..... 12 Cool Facts You May Not Know About Koalas.... Ancient South Korean Temple/Grave Discovered in Valley Near the Inwangsun Mountain.... update on Miss Universe...."