"A new Commander isn't good for us, Roan." Echo  whispered. "But we control the tower. Let me stop this ascension. At least until we know who the Natblida is."

Roan kept his gaze on me as he spoke. "I already know who it is."

Echo followed his line of sight, her eyes landing on me as her face clouded in anger. "What did your people do?" she growled, lunging toward me.

"Echo!" Roan snapped. "Back off."

She gave me a withering glare before turning back to him. "We need to stop this."

He ignored her, already moving ahead with his own plan. "You," he snapped at me, any amicability that had existed between us vanishing. "With me. You two," he order the two guards who had brought me in here. "Go get the healer. We're stopping this now!"

---

A fair amount of time had passed by the time I was dragged into the Throne Room behind Roan for the beginning of the Ascension Ceremony. Representatives from each clan had gathered for the ascension of the new commander-Clarke. 

Roan gripped onto my arm, preventing me from trying to run. I felt anxiety rise in my chest at the thought of what was about to happen. Knowing he had something planned, I feared for Clarke's life. 

Gaia stood at the front, addressing the group briefly before calling forward the new 'commander.'

Roan let out a small scoff as Clarke made her way into the room. Her eyes briefly met mine and she gave me a confused look. 

I tried to tell her with my face that Roan was going to try and stop this. I nodded toward him, widening my eyes. 

Clarke gave me an unsure look before continuing forward, ignoring the gasps that flew around the room.

"What is this?" Indra demanded. "Wanheda is no Natblida!"

Gaia didn't answer her mother in words, but tool a hold of Clarke's hand, holding it over a small pedestal as she sliced her blade across it. 

Black blood began dripping from Clarke's hand, resulting in more shocked murmurs. 

As each representative bowed their heads, accepting Clarke as the new commander. I turned to Roan, awaiting his response. But it didn't come, not yet.

Gaia said a few more words in Trigedasleng, the representatives echoing something back to her. 

Clarke said her own words before kneeling, lowering her head so that her neck was exposed. 

Gaia picked up the Flame, whispering the passphrase which caused it to open. 

It was seconds away when-

"Lies upon lies." There it is. 

Roan stepped forward, leaving me in the crowd as he addressed the rest of the group. 

Gaia's face morphed in anger as she stepped toward him. "Get out of this sacred circle." she ordered. 

"There's nothing sacred about any of this. Wanheda is making a mockery of our faith."

Clarke's eyes were wide in shock. "I'm trying to save us, your Highness. You know that."

"Because you think we're savages in need of saving?" Roan fired. 

"Praimfaya is almost here!" 

"Then let's not waste any more time." Roan agreed. "Tell them," he demanded, turning to me. "Tell them how Wanheda became a Nightblood."