Chapter Thirty-seven ⭐💚

Start from the beginning

But the picture wasn't done painting itself yet. I stood with my one foot on a globe but the continents and cities seemed on fire. Around him lay a pile of money and behind him was a gigantic red ruby in a glass case. Next to me, another figure was drawn, a woman this time. She looked down into her arms, her hair covering her face. She held a baby swaddled in a red and white circular striped blanket that not only looked like a target but also had darts on it.

Windows appeared in the room that we stood in, and it looked like a bunch of zombies banging against it. They looked like rotten corpses that were ready to feed. They wore collars with grey gems on their necks. A zombie apocalypse?

"Follow me," the man stepped inside of the portrait and disappeared. I was confused but took a step inside of the portrait as well. Everything around me dimmed down until it darkened.

When I opened my eyes I found myself in a room with a glass window. Three men stood looking through it, I was on the other side. I knew that I was in a different room but it looked like I was in the wild and being chased by two lions.

"More lions," someone instructed.

"This is incredible. I wonder how much we can put it through before it caves in," a second man spoke.

"Add fire. I want to see it get itself out of trouble,"

I saw I ran away from seven lions this time. I ran right up until I saw a fire approaching. I didn't know what to do so I stood there and watched the fires rushed over to me as fast as it could. A lion bit my leg, I screamed out in agony.

The men around cheered. "That's what I'm talking about, finally," the third man said.

My flesh burst open, they gnawed on my leg, blood pouring out of my fresh wound and there was nothing I could do but watch them eat me alive. I winced and closed my eyes, I couldn't watch anymore. This is too much information, he said it shows the future but I hope that never happens to me. But there's only so much hope can do.

"Don't you guys think he's in pain?" Another man asked the others.

The others laughed. "No, he's a beast. Pain is for us, humans. Relax."

I couldn't bear to watch. I felt a hand on my shoulder my heart jumped, but I saw that it was only the man I came with. "They would never see you as normal. They would never feel you,"

I stepped into the canvas that appeared again. This time it was clean. The same thing happened. I got surrounded by black and when I opened my eyes I saw myself standing in front of Kin and blasting a twenty-foot spider with a red wand while she was clutching a little girl in her hands, he assumed that it is Lainey. She grabbed her sister's hand and I grabbed the nearby car keys and we drove off while she sat in the passenger seat crying. "No... No... this can't happen again... shit like this can't keep on happening,"

The canvas was in the road and we drove right through it. Everything went black.

I saw myself in another room, this time sitting with grown-ups who seemed to have planned something. I was with the rest of my friends this time. "Are ya'll expecting me to say something?" I asked my friends, "cos I will. This ain't the way, causing this apocalypse could also endanger the humans. They'll suffer the most because who's going to protect them?"

I saw the man standing behind the vision version of himself. "It's always going to be black and white, but we're about the grey? And as you can see here... so are you. We don't want humans to suffer but you also want us to be free to be ourselves,"

The man snapped his fingers and we were back in his office. "Any questions?"

I nodded my head. "Yeah, who's my woman? The one from the portrait?"

"Well, that's something you'd have to find out by yourself. But anyway, about everything. What do you say?"

I looked at the man who walked up to his bottled alcoholic beverages. "Huh?" He asked, "how you like em? Some orange juice?"

I nodded my head. The man smirked. "What did you say?"

"Yes. I'd love some," I said. I could never turn down orange juice.

The man poured him some juice while laughing and walked up to me and handed me the juice. For a split second, it looked to me like it stirred, but maybe I was hallucinating. So he took one big sip and finished it off.

I heard someone knocking on my door and this was how I woke up. I sat upright but didn't stir just yet. I had a strange dream, and it felt so real. The person knocked again and, that's when I got up and walked over to open it up and saw Paul standing behind it. He helped himself in and sat down on my bed. "Um..." I said, not sure how to start this conversation since I'm not sure what happened. "I had a strange dream. But I can't remember what it was. Shit," I muttered, "don't you just hate when that happens?"

Paul raised his eyebrow. "What was it about?"

"So werewolves get deaf now and then?" I snapped my fingers. "Hello! I just said I can't remember,"

Paul raised his hand like he is surrendering. "Don't shoot me,"

"Why are you here?" I asked as I walked up to my dark wood cupboard and removed a navy shirt.

"Did you just come from school?"

Jason nodded his head. "Yep. You know I walk slow, why are you are here?"

Paul bit his lower lip with a twinkle in his eye. "Guess who's going on a date with, Ishmillah?"

"Hmm... Vincent?" I joked. "Who is she anyway?"

"Just this girl from school. We've been dating a week but tonight will be our first date. I'm so nervous. I don't know what to wear or say or anything. She's only my second girlfriend so this is new,"

I smirked. "Just relax. Like why can't you just take it as a normal hangout? Stop overthinking shit,"

Paul nodded his head. "Yeah, you're right. We are used to each other by now and I should just see it as hanging out with a friend,"

I shook my head. "Is that really what I said? Anyway, you have to go 'cause I'm going," I threw the shirt on and glanced at him.

"Where you going?"

"Hanging out with, Laura," I replied as I walked up to the door, having Paul also get up and follow him. "She wants to knit but has no one to do it with her so she asked me to join her beginners class,"

Paul laughed. "You knit?"

I put on sneakers, took off the uncomfortable leather school shoes. I turned around to look at Paul who awaited my response. "Yes, for four days now, I kind of enjoy it,"

Paul snickered.

"What?"

"Nothing," he flung his arm around Jason's shoulder. "I just didn't take you for that type,"

I rolled my eyes and smirked. "I'm any type. If it won't get me in kill me, why not?"

"I supposed you're right,"

I sighed then looked at my friend. The vibe of that dream felt so real, I wonder who those people are. No, they were things. Snake teeth, are they real? Do they exist in this world with me? "I have this unsettling feeling... maybe it's the dream I had or maybe I'm just worried about, Kin,"

Could be here on my mind as well. She's showed genuine interest in me when we locked our pinkies. She tried her best to reach out to me, to become my friend. Her words weren't empty, she stayed true to her words. And when she returns, I better stop being apathetic. I best reach out and be her friend as well.

Paul put his hand on my shoulder. "Don't worry about her, she's fine. I wonder about her often but then I have to remind myself that she's a fighter. We'll find her. And even if we don't find her right away, she'll survive. She'll conquer,"