24| let loose

third person pov

---

They'd lost. Aoba Johsai lost to Shiratorizawa in the finals, and y/n could do nothing more than watch with solemn eyes as the boys regrouped. Most of the first and second years were holding back their frustration and tears. Oikawa, Iwaizumi, Makki and Mattsun held neutral faces, though it didn't take a genius to see the irritation in their scowls. 

The cheer squads and fans had congratulated the boys despite their loss and grim demeanor. 

"You guys played great!"

"You're amazing!"

"You'll get them next time!"

The team bowed and thanked them. Oikawa led the boys back to the bench to clear their belongings and y/n followed silently. While they were grabbing their bags and whatnot, the coach told them that they'd be having a meeting in the gym once they returned to school.  

The h/c haired girl grabbed her clipboard and the ball bag, then led the team out of the gymnasium. Makki, who made his way through the group to walk beside y/n, seemed more angry than upset. The same could be said for Iwaizumi and Mattsun. Oikawa, too, was probably beyond enraged after losing to his rivals for the umpteenth time, but his face was twisted in an upsetting way.

After a few seconds of silence passed between the two, Makki spoke up. "You gonna make us do 100 serves?"

"What?" y/n asked exasperatedly as she glanced at him from the corner of her eye. "Of course not. I don't want you guys dying after playing a great match." 

The boy laughed tiredly, but his face remained tense. "We played good?" he questioned. The h/c haired girl gave him a look that read 'are you serious'. "Just because we lost doesn't mean we played bad. We just need a little bit of touch ups in some areas. You guys played incredibly." she reassured him. Makki ruffled her hair as a response and the team continued their way to their bus. 

Sometime during this, Oikawa had found himself on y/n's other side. Without realizing it, he grazed the girl's hand with his finger. 

"Hm?" the h/c haired girl hummed and slightly turned her head to him. The setter apologized after realizing what he'd done, but his rambling was cut short when y/n laced their fingers together loosely. "It's okay, Oikawa." y/n smiled lightly at the boy, and his frown disappeared almost immediately. 

They entered the bus and the brunette lazily pulled the girl into one of the rows, giving her the window seat. It wasn't long before the whole bus fell asleep, and it certainly didn't take long for Mattsun to snap a picture of y/n drooling onto Oikawa's jacket. 

~~~

"Mattsun, that is just downright horrible." the h/c haired girl said as she eyed the photo. Her mouth was hung open the slightest bit and a small pool of drool had found its way onto Oikawa's shoulder. The boy found it quite cute, while y/n found herself drowning in embarrassment. 

"What? I think it really shows your character." Mattsun retaliated as he feigned sincerity. 

The third years were making their way back home after completing a short cool down and meeting in the gym. Most of the boys were able to take their minds off the frustration of losing, but y/n noticed Oikawa's unusual silence. 

She passed Mattsun's phone back to him, but not without sneakily hitting 'delete'. 

The girl touched the back of the setter's hand with her own and he tilted his head toward her. "Wanna come over for a bit? I wanna show you something." she whispered with a small smile. Oikawa thought for a moment before curtly shaking his head. "I would but I'm kind of tired." he lied.