2. The Party & Him

En başından başla

"First Year," I said and looked down at my hands. I don't know why being a First Year embarrassed. I guess it was the whole being new to the school thing.

"Hey, don't be embarrassed. I was a first year once, too," PJ told me. "You're probably one of the first First Years I've met that's had the guts to come to a party on their first night. Most are too nervous."

"My friend dragged me," I replied. "She said it'd be a good way to make friends and all."

"She wasn't wrong. Exhibit A." He gestured to himself. I laughed.

We spent the rest of the night talking about photography and cinematography. Apparently, PJ was trying to start a YouTube channel where he could put his silly stories and stuff online. I thought it sounded like a good idea. Lots of people were starting to use YouTube.

Our conversation was soon cut off when a very drunk couple fell next to us and started making out. And not just making out, but making out with tongue and a groping and everything. Yuck.

"Wanna come to my room?" PJ asked. "Nothing gross or anything, but just to get away from...this."

He gestured to the couple, completely oblivious to us next to them.

"Please," I replied.

The two of us stood up and maneuvered our way through the crowd of drunk/semi-drunk people towards PJ's room.

His room was much like mine, except his was a bit more cluttered. But it was only the first night, how could I blame him? Even if he was a Second Year.

I awkwardly sat on his bed while he shuffled around some of the mess.

"I'm sorry it's such a mess, I was kind of doing some cleaning and whatnot," he said. "I hate to dumb my sob stories on you, but my girlfriend and I just broke up."

"Oh, I'm sorry," I said. "And don't worry about that. All my friends say they feel most comfortable talking to me. I'm just that kind of person."

"Well, that's good to be. Better than the alternative, which is people hate talking to you."

I chuckled. PJ plopped himself down on his bed, laying with his head on the pillow and one leg hanging off the side. I sat with my back to the wall, hugging my legs to me to make more space for PJ. It was his bed, after all. PJ turned his head to look at me.

"I wonder what the gossip is gonna be around the First Years tomorrow," he joked. "You know, with you going to a Second Year boy's room."

"I think the real question is the gossip around the Second Years, with you taking a First Year girl to your room just after you and your girlfriend's breakup."

PJ looked up to the ceiling and chuckled. He put his hand under his head and stared at his ceiling. I rested my head against the wall, looking at the ceiling as well. It was a pretty bland ceiling, just like the rest of the room without the clutter.

"If I were home," I started, my mouth taking over before my mind could process what I was saying. "I'd stick those little glow in the dark stickers on my ceiling. Not because I'm scared of the dark or anything, but because I'd use the stickers to make a picture. I remember when I was 6, I took those star stickers to look like the actual stars in the sky. Constellations and everything." I turned to look at PJ, who was already looking at me with a smile on his face. "I'm sorry. I'm telling you my whole life story and you probably don't care."

"No, I think it's cool," PJ said. "I like the way your mind works. It seems like a creative place."

"It is, especially when it comes to pictures and all."

Suddenly, PJ's door slammed open and Lily stumbled in, her arms around some boy I never saw before. She looked at me and giggled and hiccuped.

"Ooh, Haze!" she drunkenly slurred. "In the room with a boy! Naughty!"

I chuckled. "Hey Lil. I'd introduce you, but you're too drunk to remember."

"I know Lily," PJ said. "Well, not personally or anything, but I met her last year at the beginning of the year party. She was not nearly as drunk."

"I had one too many," Lily said. "Oh, I forgot to introduce you to my boyfriend, O-" she hiccuped. "-scar."

"Nice to meet you, Oscar," I said with a kind smile. Oscar smiled back, but didn't reply. The two stumbled away, giggling and all over each other. I turned back to PJ, who was now sitting up next to me. "I better go, make sure she doesn't have anymore to drink."

"Might be a good idea," PJ said. "It was really nice to meet you. I'll get to see you again, right?"

"Around campus, I'm sure," I said.

PJ smiled at me and I smiled back.

I stood up from his bed and walked back out into the noisy party area. I found Lily drunkenly leaning against her boyfriend. I helped her out of the boy's dorm and back over to her own room. She kept babbling some sort of nonsense, but I wasn't paying attention.

All that was on my mind were those green eyes and the amazing boy they belonged to.