Chapter 22

Chapter 22: XXII

Summary:

Hey everyone!

I'm finally back to regular updates. Round of applause for meeeee!

Also, if you're ever looking for something different to read, you should check out the new Larry fic that my BFF is writing. She's an amazing writer and you won't be disappointed!

https://archiveofourown.org/works/11904543/chapters/26895000

As always, thanks for reading and I hope you like this chapter!
Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

———————————————————————————
Fireworks sounded off from somewhere in the distance and from behind his eyelids, Louis could see the sky brighten as the sparks rained down on the city. His lips were still pressed against Harry's. It was impossible to measure exactly how long they'd been pressed together, feeding each other air in the form of soft exhales and quiet moans. Louis was so far gone into it that the world could have been ending around him and he wouldn't have noticed. He had nearly memorized every inch of Harry's face and the perfect way that his lips fit against Louis' own.

How on earth had it taken him this long to know? Harry's kisses were so soft and perfect and Louis could feel it. He had spent his entire life convinced that he'd never have a moment like this. That there would never be a person out there who wanted him like this: and then there was Harry.

Harry.

Harry who had woken him up from his comatose existence. Who had listened to every piece of his heart without judgement. Who had sat quietly by while Louis learned who he was. While he learned who they were. How they fit together. He'd just sat there with all the patience in the world like he knew that some day Louis would finally clue in. That some day Louis would finally believe it.

He wanted to cry—to break in the best possible way. Louis had spent every single second of his entire existence feeling like a stain, like he was never wanted, like he couldn't possibly belong anywhere and Harry had gone and given him an entire universe. He wasn't just the messed up rich boy from the most prominent family in Doncaster who didn't fit anywhere. He fit right there. Pressed against Harry and the only thing he could think to do was sob like an infant.

Louis had spent years trying not to break and it only took him giving up on life completely to find a safe place to do it. Harry could hold him together. Harry was strong enough to give him strength he never imagined.

For the first time he could ever remember, Louis felt okay. Tears started to pour from his eyes and a sob slipped between Harry's lips. Gently, Harry cupped his cheeks and pulled back, softly kissing Louis' cheek.

"Lou," he cooed, "shh, 'm right here,"

Harry pulled Louis tightly against his chest, running careful fingers through his hair as he rocked them back and forth.

"I didn't know," Louis voice cracked as he said the words. His hands were in fists, gripping Harry's tshirt between them.

He felt Harry's lips against his hair and he was a fucking mess but for once it felt okay. For once Louis was finally where he belonged. For once he wasn't embarrassing himself by being in the wrong place at the wrong time and the arms that were wrapped around him were the right ones.

"Didn't know what?" Harry's voice was calm, grounding and it hummed through Louis' veins, making the tears come harder.

"I didn't know I could want this," he admittedly softly, "that you could ever want me,"