Chapter Ten- Reassigned.

Start from the beginning

Greenlee: "I don't either. I do need to know what you expect of me."

Zach: "I just need you to watch Zoey while I work. The only reason I asked for a live-in was that sometimes I struggle. I have only had her full time for three months. I am still learning too."

Zola: "Zachary!"

His mother calls from the living room.

He walks away; He isn't Callen; this situation is entirely different. I need to keep reminding myself of that; what I went through was all my fault, I let it happen. I should have read the contract; I should, have read it word for word; I did read this contract. I just didn't read the personal information about the client. I read the terms. The terms are what matter to me.

I finish putting my stuff away then make my way to the living room. They weren't there, so I find a spot at the dining room table. It's my first day. All first days are uncomfortable. It doesn't help that we sort of know each other. What he does know are things I am not happy he knows.

I needed this to try to get out of my own head. I should have told Nancy no as soon as I heard a single dad. I know it's nothing more than a job, and I'm happy about that. I think Nancy knew I needed the work to that's why she sent me here. I am just struggling with my own mental state. Me and only me can do something about that.

I feel him grab my hands. My eyes go to his.

Zach: "I know that you have been hurt. I knew that the day you walked into my office. I get why you are here. I can only assume what happened with the Bryant's. I won't ask you about it. I will listen and not judge if you decide to talk."

He stands up and walks away. I noticed that Zoey was nowhere around.

Greenlee: "Where is Zoey?"

Zach: "I sent her to her room to play."

Greenlee: "Do you mind if I go spend time with her?"

Zach: "No, but I have a favor."

Greenlee: "What's that?"

Zach: "Would you stay the weekend this weekend? I would like for Zoey to be comfortable with you before I go back to work."

Greenlee: "I don't mind. I would need to let Aubrey know."

Zach: "That's fine."

I make my way to Zoey's room. I stand and watch her for a bit. She was sitting on the floor, playing with blocks. I sit on the floor with her; She looks up at me; she has her dad's blue eyes she a beautiful little girl.

Greenlee: "May I play?"

Zoey: "Yeah."

I pull out her name in the letters. I place them in front of her. She picks them up and moves them.

Zoey: "Mine."

She then hands me different blocks.

Zoey: "Yours."

We sit there for a while and play. She and I will get along just fine. She is a super sweet child. She is also polite for a two-year-old. Zach and her mom have done a wonderful job with her. She may be just what I need to get out of the funk I am in.

~~Zach's point of view~~

When I opened the door and saw her standing there, I was blown away. She has been the first thing on my mind every morning since the day she walked into my office as soon as I saw the pain and hurt in her eyes. I knew whatever happened to her was terrible. I didn't know her then to question it. I did get a tad bit when she and Aubrey were talking. It was three weeks after the death of Mrs. Bryant.

It makes me wonder if whatever happened to her happened after she died. They would have spent two weeks in the same home after. I didn't lie to her. The rumor going around is that Mr. Bryant caught his wife with Greenlee, and she took her life. I'm a man. Any man that would have caught that would have asked to join.

I know that isn't what happened. Whatever happened has embedded deep wounds into Greenlee's soul. I know she still cares; her screen saver is of a baby. I assume it is the Bryant's child. I won't ask her. I won't push her either. I gave her an open invitation she has to take it.

I'm really glad she was the one sent to me, though. I know she won't be mistreated here as I stand here and watch her play with Zoey. She has no idea that I have been standing here watching her. She has not once taken her attention from Zoey. I love the way she interacts with her. That is what I wanted for Zoey.

Until three months ago, I got Zoey on weekends and holidays. My ex had full custody. I gave it to her. I worked and couldn't take care of her full time. I paid child support and also spousal support. She cheated more than once, but I insisted I pay. I grew up with money. I didn't need to tear her down in the process.

She had a heart attack at twenty-eight and died. I got custody of Zoey. I was then offered a job here. In a state, I had never been to and had never really wanted to visit. I had been with the company ten years before being given the opportunity. I jumped at the chance. It gives me a way to start over with my daughter. I was thankful my mom agreed to come for the first month. She was a huge help.

My mom suggested a nanny while I worked. I grew up with one, and I loved her. A girl at work told me about Kindercare. Right now, I think calling them was the best decision I have made. I haven't heard Zoey laugh like that since I've had her. I hope Greenlee can take the hurt I see in my daughter away. What I hope even more is that Zoey can bring Greenlee out of the pain she is in.

~~New Characters~~

Zoey Clemons

Zola Clemons

Zola Clemons