C h a p t e r F o u r

Start from the beginning

Jolene rolls her eyes, “You can pull that shit with other people, Cleo but that doesn’t work on me.”

Cleo just shrugs while bringing her coffee cup to her lips. “Worth a shot.”

“You.” Jolene exclaims pointing a finger at Rae. “Are coming with me.”

“For what?”

“Shopping.”

Rae hums as she cuts another slice out of her apple. “Yeah, that’s not happening.”

Turning to Jace, who has her tucked under her arm Jolene says, “Did you hear your sister, Jace? She thinks she can tell me no!”

“I did hear.” He says before clicking his tongue. “Not a smart move.”

“Traitor.” Rae hisses pointing the knife at him.

“Put down the knife down, get you ass upstairs and get dressed, Rae Marie.” Jolene orders with a glare. “I am too old to be carrying you over my shoulder kicking and screaming.”

“It’s okay, Jojo. I’d be happy to help you.” Jace grins.

Patting his cheek Jolene coos at him. “You’ve always been one of my favorite nephews.”

“Hey!” Hudson yells.

“I said one of my favorite nephews.” She soothes him before turning her attention back to Rae. “Why are you still sitting there, girl? GO!”

With a sigh Rae puts down the knife and the last bit of her apple on the table. Putting on her fakest smile she approaches her brother and aunt before curling her fist. Ramming it into her brother’s stomach she ignores Jolene’s scolding and Hudson’s bouts of laughter. Though that doesn’t stop her from grinning on her way up the stairs.

That’ll show him.

>< 

“What about this one?”

Rae looks at the ugly monstrosity in her aunt’s hand and gives her a dry look. Without a word Rae moves past her towards the sunglasses rack to browse. She doesn’t know why she’s being dragged into this mess, especially on her day off. Though in truth even Rae knows when Auntie Jojo tells you to do something, you do it.

“Rae, you can’t turn down every dress.” Jolene huffs.

“Yes I can.” Rae answers while putting on a pair of cat eye red shades.

Taking them off her face Jolene gives her a no nonsense look. “The run is in three days and you need a dress.”

“Why can’t I just do it in jeans?” She whines.

“Because its tradition for the females to wear a white dress to show their availability while the mated women must wear red. Now since I don’t see a mate anywhere in sight right now it’ll have to be white.”

“But I hate wearing dresses.”

“Honey, I hate to break it to you but the run is not about what you like. Hell it’s not even about what your mate likes. We have rules and traditions for a reason and as a member of the pack you as well as I, have to obey them.”

“You suck.”

Jolene just pokes the tip of her nose, “Don’t sass me or I’ll take you over my knee, I don’t care how old you are.”

With Jolene’s arm over her shoulder Rae chews on her lower lip debating on asking what she’s about to ask. After her swim the other night and the constant battling between her and Cleo, Rae has come to a hard decision. Maybe its time that Cleo did go to stay with Jolene and Everett for a little bit.