Arlo scoffed. "Someone's got a big head."

"It's just nice to be recognized for who I really am. I'll be the next Peach. Saving Portia from ruin, one rogue AI at a time."

Arlo laughed. "I guess you found your calling."

"Nah. Don't want to step on your toes." She winked at him. "But I really need a shower." She pressed her lips against his and met his gaze. "Wanna help?"

*****

It only took Kahli a couple days to finish the driller, and she dropped it off to Mint as soon as it was finished. The Civil Corps alternated posts in the desert, overseeing the work to ensure that construction could continue safely. Arlo stood beside Mint as the driller began its first day of work, and Mint grinned happily.

"With this, we should be finished in no time," he said. "As long as things run smoothly."

"If anything goes wrong, it won't be because of an AI, I can assure you of that," Arlo said.

"I really owe you guys," Mint said.

"That's what we do."

Mint hesitated. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"You seem close with Kahli," Mint commented.

Arlo nodded as if considering this. "I suppose one could say that," he remarked.

"Do you know if she's seeing anyone?"

Arlo blinked at him. "What?"

Mint blushed. "She's really smart, and pretty, and fearless." He shrugged. "I dunno. I was just thinking of asking her out."

"Oh, you're serious."

Mint glanced at him and his brows furrowed. "Is she? Seeing someone?"

Arlo hesitated. "Yeah."

"Right," he said. "Of course she is. She's too pretty to be single." He sighed. "I've just never seen her hanging around anyone except -" He stopped suddenly and his cheeks warmed.

"Yup."

"Oh." Mint looked around anxiously as if searching for a way to change the topic. The sound of hooves, however, turned their attention to Kahli as she rode over to them.

"Hey," she greeted Mint cheerfully. "How's that driller working out?"

"It's, uh, great. I mean. It's fine. It's good."

Kahli's brows furrowed. "Are you sure? If there's something wrong -"

"Nope," Mint said quickly. "It's perfect. You're - It's cool. Good job. Thanks."

Kahli glanced at Arlo. He was pinching the bridge of his nose and seemingly stifling a laugh.

"Uh, alright," Kahli said slowly. "Well, anything I can do to help. You know where to find me."

"No, I don't. I mean. Right. Yes. Thank you. I think I'm good. Actually, you know what? I think we can call it quits for the day, yeah? I'll just go let the guys know."

Kahli watched him walk briskly over to the construction workers, confusion on her face.

"Was that weird?" she asked Arlo.

Arlo mounted Spacer and turned him around. Kahli and Star trotted to catch up with them.

"Little bit," Arlo said.

"What happened?" She frowned. "Did I upset him?"

"Uh, no," Arlo said. "I think I did."

"What did you do to him?"

"Crushed his dreams, apparently."

"What are you talking about?"

"He asked me if you were seeing anyone."

"What?" Kahli laughed. "No way. You're fucking with me."

"Honest," he said. "He then proceeded to tell me that you're smart and pretty and fearless and he wanted to ask you out."

Kahli stared at him in silence for a moment. "What did you say?"

"I said you were seeing someone."

She narrowed her gaze on him. "You didn't happen to mention it was you?"

"He figured it out."

"Oh." She glanced over her shoulder, but she couldn't see Mint. "Seriously?"

"Should I go back and tell him you're interested?"

Kahli smiled. "What? No." She laughed. "No. I just. No one's ever been interested in me before."

"Right," Arlo said. "I'm clearly not."

"I mean," she started. "Now there's two!"

"Oh, so now I'm not enough for you?"

Kahli smirked at him. "Don't worry; you're more than enough."

"I'm going to take that as a compliment," Arlo said.

"Good. That's how I meant it." She blew her hair out of her face. "Oh, man. I can't believe he didn't know." She hesitated. "Do we not act coupley enough?"

"Coupley?" Arlo echoed. "How do we act coupley?"

"The spark is gone, isn't it?"

Arlo laughed. "Seems so."

"You're going to start 'Yes Dearing' me, aren't you?"

"Yes, Darling."

"It's the beginning of the end," she said. "There's nothing left for us but death."

"You should get out while you still can."

"I hear Mint is interested," Kahli said thoughtfully.

"You should know that I'll probably return with a grand gesture of my love."

"Aw, that's so sweet. And I'll admit that I've always loved you."

"So, can we skip all that drama?"

"Might as well," Kahli said. "It sounds like a lot of work, anyway."

"I'm happy with you, too, Darling."

Kahli laughed. "But, you know," she started. "I'm pretty and smart and fearless. The trifecta, apparently. So you better tie this down quick if you don't want anyone else to scoop me up."

Star tossed her head with a nicker and they trotted ahead, leaving Arlo and Spacer to catch up. Arlo watched as she turned her horse around to wait for them. She grinned at Arlo, then leaned down to pat Star's neck, cooing to her. When she met his gaze, Arlo smiled.