Chapter Forty: Mackenzie Grant

The fight ended in exactly the way everyone bet, Evangeline winning and the others annoyed about it. Eva finds her way back to me after giving all the girls an evaluation and I slide my arms around her waist as she checks something on her phone. "Can we get take out?" Lexie asks, squeezing Bear's arms like she needs to convince him to do it.

With Bear, all she has to do is ask and he'll give it. It annoyed me at first but now I get it, I doubt I could find it in me to deny Eva anything. "Eva's paying." Bear says and Eva yelps in disagreement.

"Hey! I won the fight, make those lot pay." 

"No because they're sore losers, be a nice winner." Eva looks up at me with a dropped jaw and I laugh, it's not like I can convince him otherwise. She ends up agreeing, if only because of Lexie's puppy dog eyes, and I follow her up the stairs into the lounge. 

"What am I ordering?" Eva asks from my lap as I slip my hands under her jacket to rest my hands on her back. I would put them under her blouse but I imagine I'll get smacked for that. A whole other argument starts from that, each of them throwing different suggestions out there, even Lucia gets involved in it. "If this argument doesn't end in five minutes, I'm not paying for anything." She whispers to me, curling further around me with her head tucked into my neck. 

"You know that's not going to happen." I look down at her and she pouts. "Bear has already decided that you're paying no matter how long this takes."

"Is that what being an Old Lady means? Taking orders from the President?" She asks playfully and brings my free hand to rest on her cheek. 

"Yeah, you're not getting out of it now." 

"Wasn't planning on it. Still gonna cost me an arm and a leg." She rolls her eyes, making me laugh and look up at the argument still raging on. "Oh my days, I'm done with this argument! I'm ordering whatever I want, you get what you're given!" Eva shouts over them after sitting up in my lap to glare at them.

Bear moves to argue but with one glance from Eva's kids, he shuts up. She taps away on her phone while the rest of them dissolve into a calmer conversation. "What are you ordering?" I ask, leaning my head on her shoulder so I can see her phone as she grins excitedly. 

"Well I know that Riley and Peyton love Italian food but that Lucia would sell her soul for a good burrito so I'm ordering from a place they all love. I'm sure the others won't mind. It's a family owned business about two blocks away and they make the best lasagne." 

It takes over an hour to get the food in considering how much the poor bastards had to make to feed all of us and the table is then extended even more for the new additions. Eva ends up having to sit on me and the kids end up having to sit at another table in the lounge. Everyone gets more and more excited as things start coming out of the boxes. 

There are like four different pasta trays, three different Mexican dishes and then thousands of fries with burgers and fried chicken scattered in there too. "You know how to order family style, Eva." Bear shouts just as the doorbell goes.

"It gets better!" Eva runs off to get the door and the rest of us wait for her to come back with whatever she's gone to get. "I come bearing more gifts. Turns out Simon ordered way to much beer and it turns out each barrel is worth about two grand, help yourselves." There are seven barrels of beer. Seven. 

Within seconds, Rubble and Bear are on the barrels and giving out glasses to everyone. "I got some of your scotch, darling." She passes me a small bottle of my favourite vintage and I kiss the side of her head in thanks, making her smile up at me. We help ourselves to the food and the alcohol to the point where we're all ready to pass out.

I am stuffed. 

Eva, Nova, Rogue and I are the only sober ones left besides the kids so Eva is the one that arranges for all of them to get to Breaker's house at the parents' request. "Can you stay at mine tonight?" 

"Is that even a question?" Why would I ever pass up the opportunity to go to her house? Especially when these lot are going to be especially intolerable tomorrow morning. 

I follow her to her place and collapse onto her couch with a groan. "Make yourself at home, darling." She kisses my head and starts putting some stuff away while I watch her in rapt attention. 

"Are you almost done?" I've been waiting for like five whole minutes and I'm bored and lonely. 

"One second!" I groan and throw my phone onto the coffee table in a huff. I drag her down to lay on me the minute she passes by the couch and she laughs before flicking my nose. "I have things to do, Mr Grant, so you have to let me go." 

"Five minutes." I mumble, my eyes already closing to drift off to sleep now she's here to keep me company. 

"Go up to bed and I'll meet you there." She strokes my face while I whine like a four year old. "Go on." She slides off of me and drags me off the couch without even trying. I kiss her softly before doing as I'm told. I take a quick shower before laying down in her bed, decidedly exhausted.

It's another half an hour or so of constant movement from Eva as she gets ready for bed, falling in next to me the minute she's done. I decide that she's too far away and drag her closer to me, pressing her entire body against me and nuzzling into her neck as she strokes the back of my head.