Chapter 6

Wilbur stood atop a lone hill. He'd hoped to find someone there, but they weren't there. In their place was a note. He picked up the note--after studying it for a moment he frowned. It appeared that he'll sit here alone today. He sighed and stared at the sun--it was close to setting. He frowned and glanced up at the tree above him. Why did they like that tree so much anyway? There wasn't anything special about it. He sighed and studied the leaves. They were almost all gone, the colorful leaves were on the ground around him. He hoped that they'd have enough crops to get through the winter, especially with the harshness of winter.

A sudden snap of a twig made his head shot up. His gaze softened as he recognized the figure. "I thought you said you couldn't come." They smile and shake their head.

"That was a ruse. I just didn't want Fundy to worry about me." Wilbur nods and turns to the tree again. "I can tell that something is on your mind? You seem out of it." He looked back at them before he looked away again.

"It's...look, what is the big deal with this tree? I mean--you seem happy about it. What makes it so special to you?" They look at Wilbur and gave him a small smile.

"It's a great symbol of hardship. I guess it just reminds me of change and that no matter what, a person is still the same on their inside. No one will ever change, no matter how much they struggle. Wilbur--if anything ever happens to me, think of this tree. I know that it's weird, but hear me out: no matter where I am, I'm still me and I'll always be with you." Wilbur's eyes widen and he smiles. He brings them into a warm embrace.

"I promise, (N/n)."

************

I found myself in my new room. If you never had known or seen all of the boxes that had been in here, you'd have thought that I'd been here for a long time. I heard a soft knock at my door and walked over to it. I slowly opened it to find Wilbur. My eyes widened and I smiled. I embraced him in a hug and felt him melt into the embrace. "I need to ask something of you, (N/n)..." I hummed, signifying for him to continue. "Could you.....could you bring me back to life...?" I separate from our embrace and study his expression.

"Are you sure?" He sighs and nods. I cast my gaze downwards and frown to myself. "Will, you do realize what might happen because of that." He nods and puts a hand on my shoulder.

"I'm fully aware. Please, (N/n)." I nod my head slowly and Wilbur makes noises of excitement. "Oh, thank you so much (N/n)!!!!" I smile to myself and shrug him off.

"Okay, Will. Why don't you go keep Tommy company while I research this?" He nods and bids me farewell. After hearing him leave the house completely, I sigh and slump onto the floor.

"Ma, what's going on....?"

*************

"Fundy, what did you do?" The young fox shrank back into his step-parent's hold as his father yelled at him. "Why did you have to do that? Do you not understand how valuable it is for those trees to grow?" Fundy's ears drop and he hides his face in his step-parent's pants.

"Wilbur, give the child a break." Wilbur huffs and shakes his head. Fundy looks up at his step-parent. At such a young age, he didn't understand why his real mom left or why his dad didn't agree with the idea of his gender. His ma had always been there to defend him and was trying to convince Wilbur to accept things. "Besides, he is your son. You're supposed to be there for him." Wilbur sighed and turned to leave.

"I'll be home later. Both of you please stay out of trouble." Fundy salutes to his father while (Y/n) just laughs.

"Let's go have some fun, son."

************

"It's...." I sigh and shake my head. "Will wants to be brought back to life." Fundy's eyes widen and he runs over.

"You can't!! Don't you know--"

"Yes, Fundy. I know what might happen. There's always a chance for something different." He sighs but nods. "Besides, I already promised him that I will." Fundy looks over at my books.

"At least let me help you." I nod my head and he smiles. He rushes over to the bookshelf and starts browsing my books.

"I'll be back, there's someone I need to talk to." Fundy gives noises of understanding as I leave. I walk down the path that was laid out. I never got to see what the explosions did to L'Manburg until now. It all made me realize how history was bound to repeat itself. I notice Quackity and walked over to him. "Alex!! I have a question for you!!" He slows down and waits for me.

"What's going on, (Y/n)?" I sigh and lead him away from where people would listen to our conversation. "(Y/n)...?"

"Alex, do you know anything about bringing people back to life?" His eyes widen and he glances around.

"How did you know to ask me?" I shake my head.

"Don't question it, I had a hunch." He hums and triple-checked that no one was around.

"Okay, I'll tell you about it, but you have to promise me that I wasn't the one that told you." I nodded and he began explaining it to me.

**************

"Phil, kill me." Wilbur stared at his father intensely while Phil reluctantly raised a sword. Wilbur desperately begged Phil to kill him. "Phil, please. Philza--Killza."

"You're my son!!" Wilbur angrily handed him a diamond sword. "No matter what you do, you're still my son."

"They want you to." Phil hesitantly stared at the others before he turned back to his son. Before Wilbur could continue begging him, he stabbed him.

"I'm so sorry..." Phil turned to the crowd, searching for someone. He ran into the crowd, carrying his dead son. "Tommy, help me bury Wilbur." Tommy went to argue, but Phil cut him off. "Tommy. I'm doing this for (Y/n). They would want this." Tommy nods and follows him. They arrive at a hill with a single tree. The tree appears old and still seems sturdy. "We're burying him here. He always talked about wanting to be buried here." Tommy looked at the view.

"Phil, this is (N/n)'s favorite spot. The reason he wanted to be here was that they wanted to be buried here as well." Phil nods and gently sets his son's body down.

"Tommy, make sure and let (N/n) know about this place. Let them know that this is where he rests." The said boy nods.

*************

I walked to the place Tommy had told me about. As soon as I arrived, I let out a breath of amazement. I remember this place. This used to be my favorite place to go--especially when Will was alive. I noticed the small grave marker and sat down beside it. "Will, can you hear me?" I feel a hug from behind me and let out a shaky sigh. I feel myself starting to cry and let my head fall downwards. "Will, why did you blow it up...?" They heard him sigh.

"I don't know. Maybe when you revive me, I'll remember."