Chapter 7: High Moon

Maya's apartment was just a few blocks down from High Moon. She could see the peaks of the cathedral-like building, spires reaching into the sky in the morning light. As the autumn season was getting close, it was also getting cold. 

Stepping outside, she stuffed her gloved hands in her hunter coat pockets. It was styled and formal, almost identical to one that Kaname would wear on his outings to meet with people. her gun was secured to her thigh, an extra two clips of bullets in a pouch next to it. 

She still had a little bit of time before she was supposed to meet with High Moon's council. Exiting the building, she began making her way toward her destination, but took her time and stopped at a oceanside park where morning joggers and businessmen walked through. Sitting at a park bench, she stared out at the large expanse of ocean, breathing in the smell of saltwater.

The more she thought about it, it seemed similar to the Senate, now long disbanded, with the multiple people overseeing dire-wolves welfare. Although dire-wolves were a neutral, there was a shared dislike for them, which is why her kind was more likely to listen to Maya and not a fellow vampire. God...the world really had changed since she'd been asleep for the last few thousand years. She missed those who she'd helped way back then, but their legacies of success were all around her, because there were still hunters around to do what she had trained them to do.

Maya made her way toward High Moon after about fifteen more minutes. When she got there, she stood at the entrance of the gate, head tilted back to take in the full size of the place. Movement in front caught her gaze. A man stood on the other side of the gate.

"Name and business?"

"Maya Takamiya. I'm here to speak to the council."

The man's eyes widened in astonishment. "Takamiya-sama. Welcome to High Moon." He quickly opened the gate, letting her walk through. 

She gave a thank you and a smile, walking toward the front doors. She opened them and stepped inside, immediately overwhelmed by the presence of so many dire-wolves. Back home, there were little to no dire-wolves, besides her late father and herself. 

She closed the door behind her, walking forward to gawk at the grandeur. Tall, detailed pillars held up the vaulted ceiling, a chandelier or two hanging down from above. There were about two floors, visible by the single balcony that extended around the whole length of the building. The Association was so...bland compared to this, but then again, she liked that style better. This was too over the top, as if they were trying to prove something. Distaste tickled the back of her mind.

Standing near the middle of the room, she watched people go about their business. Some time passed, causing Maya to glance at her watch. She wasn't late, she'd shown up right on time. It had been nearly twenty minutes since she'd shown up. A matter as trivial as the explosion of the Level E population should be more than concern enough. 

Letting out an irritated noise, she approached a group of men who were in a loose circle at the corner of the room, seeming to have just come out of a meeting room.

"Excuse me."

They turned, giving her the same reaction the guard did at the gate, although they seemed a bit more wary. 

"Can you please give me the directions to the Council Chambers? I'm to meet with them today."

"Down the hall to your left. Its the last door. They are in the middle of a meeting, however."

Maya smiled. "Thank you, sir." As she began walking away, she heard him mumble something derogatory relating to female dire-wolves. Maya halted, turning around and walked back up to them.