Chapter nine: Maisy takes on Eric

Start from the beginning

Besides, her other siblings needed her doctor skills too. Each of them seemed down, and Maisy couldn't understand why.

Especially Eric.

He hadn't left his bedroom all day. Not for breakfast and not for lunch. It puzzled Maisy, why he was only existing as a still lump beneath his covers.

"Eric?"

Maisy gently nudged the door open, poking her head into the quiet bedroom. Which, seemed to be a mess.

Sunlight poured in through the window, he hadn't even bothered to pull the curtains shut. Only yanked the blankets over his face to keep the light out.

"Eric," She sweetly sang, poking the lump. Awaiting a response, continued to pat the covers. "Wake up! Eric?"

"Go away, Maisy."

Ignoring him, Maisy gasped. There was something very familiar about his tone, the sleepiness, and downright grumpiness. "Are you sick too?"

Eric muttered under his breath, still hidden under the covers. All he wanted was to isolate himself. "I'm not sick."

"Go play."

Ignoring him again, Maisy pulled herself up onto his bed. Crawling a little closer, and accidentally kneeing him. "Sorry,"

But she didn't give up hope. For some odd reason, she felt the need to cheer her brother up today. "Do you wanna play?"

"No."

"Do you wanna play ninjas?" Maisy continued to try, twisting her fingers together as she tried to come up with more games.

This time, Eric didn't even reply.

He sighed in relief when she climbed down from the bed, hearing her little feet thump down the carpet as she ran down the hallway to her room.

But, his silence was very short-lived.

Maisy soon came back, climbing onto the bed a little more carefully. Plopping down right next to Eric's pillow and covered head, saying nothing.

In fact, she was so quiet—Eric peaked his face out to see if she had left. But, after catching a glimpse of his face, Maisy slid her offerings over.

"I brought you Teddy and Bubbles," The little fuzzy stuffies always made her feel better. They just have that warming effect on people. So, she assumed it must be able to help Eric too.

It's a very high honor from Maisy. Hardly anyone even gets to hold Teddy. Miles almost got to once, but after he cracked a joke about dropping the bear—The privilege was quickly revoked.

". . . Thanks."

Eric knew this bit of information. Which is why a pang of guilt hit him when he saw her prized possessions resting by his side.

"I go away now."

She carefully slid off the bed feet first, not letting go of the covers until her dangling feet hit the carpet. Then Maisy hung her head as she began to leave him alone.

"Mais—" Eric sighed, throwing the comforter off as he called after her. He couldn't let her feel like that. "Don't leave. We can play if you want to."

Cracking a smile, Maisy's spirits lifted. "Okay!"

"Do you wanna play ninjas?"

Eric returned her smile, finally getting out of bed for the first time all day. "Sure."

But when he followed her to the doorframe, she paused. Maisy stared up at him with a slight frown as she thought to herself. "Eric?"

"Yeah?" He waited, thinking this was about their game. Maybe she was plotting some sort of 'ninja attack.'

Slowly, she extended her arms up with big doe eyes. This was the ultimate cure; A Maisy hug.

She wrapped her arms around his neck as soon as Eric bent low enough for her to reach, snuggling into his neck to make him feel better. "I love you, Eric."

"Love you too, Mais."

_______________________________

This was a little shorter...sorry about that

Please vote, comment and share!

Thank you for reading!
💛