zero, prologue

『 𝐨. 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞. 』

━ THE FALL OF YOU-KNOW-WHO, also known as Voldemort, was a day to be remembered, a day that went down in history. Cornered and killed by two of the best aurors, Alastair 'Mad-eye' Moody and Kingsley Shacklebolt, the wizarding world couldn't have been more surprised. Life was quick to return back to normal, though there were still extra precautions, seeing as there were death eaters still roaming around. Parties were a must. Everywhere you went, a party was being held. To celebrate the death of Voldemort and the start of a new era, an era without Voldemort.

It was around two months later, on the night of the 31st of August 1981, that Ainsley Fleamont Potter was born. The second child of Lily and James Potter, and younger brother to one Harry James Potter. He was spoiled rotten the moment he entered the world, by his 'uncles', 'aunts' and godparents alike. He was born in a safe world, a world his parents had hoped they grew up in. Shortly after his birth, the family moved to an old house on top of a hill, commonly referred to as 'Potter Manor'. It was a nice house, for a nice family. James Potter decided to take up a career in catching dark wizards and witches, and Lily soon followed, deciding to teach in a muggle primary school.

Ainsley was very like his mother, though he had his fathers hair and eye colour. Anyone could tell he had his mother's features, and he was showing signs of having her personality as well (this made James very happy).

Ainsley got along very well with his elder brother, Harry. With only a year between them, they had a lot in common and got along most of the time. They fought a lot too. Stupid things, really, but to them, these were very serious matters, like who mum was going to tuck in first, and who got the first hug from uncle Sirius, and, sometimes, who got to make biscuits with dad. Once Violet was born, these fights just got more complicated.

Violet Euphemia Potter was born around three years after Ainsley. The first girl in the family. The first girl to be born in the Potter family for generations. Ainsley and Harry soon realized that a baby needed more attention than a three-year-old and a four-year-old, and they weren't entirely pleased with that. But soon got over it when they realised Uncles Sirius, Remus and Peter would be coming over more.

But life went on, and the three grew up, but not before another joined their ranks. Darcy Lily Potter joined the Potter family in 1987. She was the second daughter and fourth child and seemed to be a lot less outgoing than her three older siblings. Darcy rarely cried, in fact, she barely made any noise. James began to worry after a week of quiet nights, something they hadn't had with the last three children, but Lily's mother, Josephine, assured him that she was completely normal, and some children just don't cry that much.

Petunia Dursley had turned up on their doorstep one winter night, shocking her sister and everyone else who was staying over for the holidays, i.e. Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, Peter Pettigrew, Mary MacDonald, Mary's boyfriend, Alfie Payne, Marlene McKinnon, Dorcas Meadowes, Vivian Meadowes (the daughter of Marlene and Dorcas), Alice and Frank Longbottom and their children, Neville and Primrose, and even Frank's mother, Augusta Longbottom. She had brought presents for the Potters and apologized to Lily. Lily was over the moon, calling it the best Christmas present she had ever gotten, while James sceptically eyed Petunia for the rest of the night. He eventually gave in and welcomed her to the family.

A year before the first Potter child would start Hogwarts, Ren Sirius Potter entered their lives. Ren was born three months premature, causing the entire family and their friends to be in a permanent state of panic. Petunia visited the hospital every other day, bringing her own son, Dudley, to give support to the panicking family. Dudley got along fine with the Potter children but didn't like Harry very much. He found Harry slightly obnoxious and loud. He and Ainsley spent most of the time sitting in the Hospital cafe talking about muggle games.

As if by a miracle, Ren survived. He still had many health problems, but he was well enough to be taken home to his family. Lily and James then named Petunia Dursley and Alfie Payne his godparents. Petunia and Dudley continued to visit, but Vernon, Petunia's husband, never came. James said it was probably for the best.

In June of 1991, Harry Potter got his Hogwarts letter. The entire family was ecstatic, and when Sirius found out, he threw a party for his godson. Vivian Meadowes had also received a Hogwarts letter, so her mums fought with Sirius until he gave in and turned it into a party for both Harry and Vivian.

A week or so later, the two families, the Potters and the McKinnon-Meadowes, headed down to London to get their school supplies. They met with the Longbottoms, who hadn't been able to attend the party, at the Leaky Cauldron, and the large group continued on to Ollivanders. After a long day of shopping, they all stopped at Florean Fortescue's ice cream parlour. While their parents talked, the children ran around, annoying the other people there.

Once Harry had left for Hogwarts, the house was suddenly very quiet. There was still noise, but Harry was always the loudest of the kids and without him there, the noise level went down about fifty per cent. There were barely any fights anymore. Ainsley was now the eldest, meaning he had more responsibilities. He had to do the most chores and he didn't get to help his dad bake biscuits anymore, as Darcy had now taken that job. All of his siblings were too young to talk to about anything serious, and even Violet would rather read than talk to her brother, and Violet hated reading. It got to the point where he was begging his parents to let him go to Hogwarts. They, of course, refused.

Harry wrote letters home about once a fortnight, sometimes more, depending on what was happening. This made Lily quite mad, as she had requested he write home at least once a week. Harry had returned home for Christmas, and he got a right grilling from his mother. He then began to write home once a week. The few weeks of Christmas passed quickly and soon Harry was back on the Hogwarts Express with the Christmas presents he had gotten from his family and friends. He was in such a rush to get on the train, he had forgotten his owl, Hedwig. James then had to chase after him as the train began to depart to hand the owl over.

The letters Harry sent home were all full of stories of his new friends, Ron and Hermione. Ainsley thought they sounded quite nice, but had no idea why they were the main focus of all his tales. Harry always seemed to carefully ignore all the questions Ainsley asked, changing the subject to his latest Quidditch match or how good the treacle tart was. Harry knew Ainsley didn't like treacle tart, or Quidditch, so this was even more suspicious.

Eventually, like all years, this one came to an end, and the Potters were all on their way to collect Harry from King's Cross.