Chapter 203 - Two Mutes

"There you go!"

Shen Yu finished fiddling with the rock, and waited quietly for a while, before the rocky soil in front of him moved and began to sink down.

The entrance to this mechanism is not a stone gate, Shen Yu did not understand how it works, but the rock moved on its own and he was surprised.

"Ah?"

Shen Yu cocked his head and watched with great interest, but his arm was pulled back, hitting the chest of the mute guard.

The rumbling sound rang through, Shen Yu looked intently, a piece of soil collapsed in front of him, and the mud and stones had rolled to his feet, if it were not for the mute guard pulling him, he may be buried underneath.

"Many... Thanks."

The mute guard has saved him many times, although Shen Yu was angry, he was more grateful.

"This is the exit? Is this the right place? Why don't it look like it..."

As the mud collapsed, revealing a dark cave, this cave does not look at all like a man-made excavation. Rather, it looks like a place where beasts live.

But the Chu's were in danger, and Shen Yu could not bear to think about it, just when he was about to step in. A sturdy figure stepped in front of him, he took the lead and led the horse into it.

The mute guard glanced back at Shen Yu, and Shen Yu knew that he should follow the mute guard.

Shen Yu did not speak, he followed sullenly, entering the cave, the mute guard is more than doing his best in protecting him. Even if the mute guard said it was just his duty, Shen Yu wouldn't believe it either.

There was no light inside the cave, the mute guard strangely felt around the stone wall for a while, and he found a torch with a flint next to it. It was not damp, so it can still be used, the mute guard struck it a few times and lit it up.

"How did you know there were torches here? Have you been here before?"

Shen Yu was stared at by the mute guard after asking, thinking about it, this is the Chu's hidden exit, of course, they will prepare something.

The mute guard switched the torch to his right hand and held it up, while also holding the reins, and reaching for Shen Yu with his left hand.

Shen Yu hesitated, and said: "You don't have to worry about me, I can keep up, I won't hold you back." The mute guard seemed impatient, he grabbed Shen Yu's hand and walked forward without looking back.

Shen Yu wanted to break free, but the strength of the mute guard is stronger than him. With a big hand clutching, it was difficult for him to move his fingers, and he could only be dragged away.

Shen Yu is unable to accept, at least he has done all kinds of hard work, he is not a delicate young lady from a wealthy family, right now he is a nobleman with a mission, but is treated as a nuisance.

It was really difficult walking inside the cave, with the light of the torch, this cave was full of potholes, probably dug for many years. There's also a lot of fallen rocks, even some places have collapsed, and the accumulation of underground water, makes it slightly sticky.

    Shen Yu didn't have time to change his magnificent ceremonial robe, It was already covered in mud, and his shoes were soaking wet, one accidental step on a stone could easily lead to a slip and sprain, if it wasn't for the mute guard holding him, he would have fallen several times.

    Inside the cave there was only the sound of two people and a horse walking, Shen Yu looked at the mute guard's vague back, feeling the strength of his hand, his mind began to wander. In front of him was the mute guard shielding him from the cold air, and preventing him from falling on the wet ground, Shen Yu's heart felt warm, but also bitter.

    The mute guard suddenly stopped, Shen Yu's nose almost hit the mute guard's shoulder.

    "Is it here?"

    Shen Yu wrung his head out, and sure enough, he saw a bright light not far away. He can't wait to go out and bring in help as soon as possible. And he also hoped that this road would not stop at all, and that they would be able to go on like this for a lifetime.

    But it was impossible after all.

    The two soon reached the exit, peeling away layers of thorny weeds and burrowing out.

    The mute guard threw the torch into a puddle to extinguish it, then he grabbed Shen Yu's hands and rubbed it a few times.

    Shen Yu was stunned for a moment. The temperature in the cave was low and the cold air was pressing. Shen Yu was so distracted on the way that he didn't even notice his hands had gotten cold.

    "Come on, let's go..."

    Shen Yu retracted his hands in a hurry, and his mind was full of mixed thoughts.

    The mute guard still walked ahead, and they soon reached the foot of the mountain, his ears twitched slightly and he stopped vigilantly.

    "What....."

Shen Yu's mouth was covered by the palm of the mute guard's hand, and he pointed to the distance. Shen Yu saw a flat land with an open terrain, there were two plain-colored tents tied, and at least a dozen of Xiongnu people walking around.

Shen Yu frowned, looking at the distance, this group of Huns happened to camp at the foot of the only mountain where they could go out, and there might be more Huns nearby. Once exposed, they will be besieged and killed by the Huns.

Shen Yu is very reluctant to admit that he is, at this time was a complete nuisance, so he could only blearily look at the mute guard.

"Wait for the nightfall." The mute guard said in sign language.

It is easy to be found with a horse in the daytime, but they can't abandon it. Otherwise, there will be no means of transportation for the rest of their journey.

"Okay."

Shen Yu also made a gesture, and then with joy, he couldn't help but raise the corner of his mouth.

"What are you smiling at?" The mute guard was unsure, so he asked in sign language.

"Look at us, two mutes, it's most useful at this time, not only can we communicate without any problem, but we can also chat!"

The mute guard seemed speechless and did not engage in a sign language banter with Shen Yu. Instead, he focused his attention on the movement of the Huns.

Shen Yu curled his lips and also looked over. He ultimately did not have the perseverance of the mute guard. In the seventh month, there were many mountain mosquitoes, and Shen Yu was bitten out of several red spots on his face, scratching his ears and cheeks from time to time. He also freed his hand to pinch away a bug lying on the shoulder of the mute guard.

It was getting late, the Huns' camp started a fire, and the roasting smoke scattered with the wind, Shen Yu smelled a meat aroma, his drool almost fell, his belly gurgling loudly.