❧two

I sit in the parlor with Georgie. The morning is time for callers. I just hope that my sister has at least one.

Campbell bursts into the room.

"Campbell!" I shout. "I was not expecting to see you here. Especially in the morning. It is terribly early for you is it not?"

"I could not sleep for some reason," Campbell tells me.

"Or never went to sleep at all," I counter.

"All the excitement, I presume. Am I the first gentleman to arrive?" Campbell looks around. I narrow my eyes at him. "How wonderful!"

Colborne walks into the room. "Callers, ma'am. The Earl of Wessex and the Marquess of Sumter."

I smile as the men walk into the room. It is a good start.

Dearest reader, this author finds herself compelled to share the most curious of news. It seems our diamond requires a closer inspection. As such, an even rarer jewel of only the most remarkable brilliance, fire, and luster has been unearthed. Her name, unknown to most, yet soon known to all, is Miss Marina Thompson.

This author is left to wonder whether Her Majesty might reconsider the high praise she once afforded Miss Bridgerton... for we all must know what the queen despises more than anything... Being wrong. And the drawing room at Bridgerton House currently appears to be emptier than the muddled head of her dearest King George. It follows that Lady Featherington is to receive what she has always desired: the season's true Incomparable living under her own roof. She must be overjoyed.

Daphne has come for a visit. We sit in the parlor. Daphne has Alice in her lap as Tilly hangs all over her. Daphne is rather upset with what Lady Whistledown has been writing about her.

"Lady Whistledown has all but declared me ineligible... worthy of the affection of a detestable simpleton and no one else. Tell me, what others should ever want such damaged goods now?" Daphne asks.

"Daph, You speak as if Lady Whistledown were to be held in higher regard than Her Majesty the Queen herself. You give far too much credit to some anonymous scribbler," I tell her.

"Easy for you to say. You to were the Incomparable of your season. You were married by the end of it," Daphne reminds me.

"These musings, they're not true," I argue.

"Only they are true, Sel, and they are true because of Anthony. He has managed to scare every worthy suitor away. Whistledown has merely reported it," Daphne insists.

"I'm sure he just desires to protect you. It is his duty after all," I remind her. "Campbell has done the same with Georgie."

"And what of my duty? Our entire lives are reduced to a single moment. This is all we have been raised for. This... is all I am. I have no other value. If I am unable to find a husband, I shall be worthless," Daphne tells me.

"Daphne, you're a Bridgerton," I remind her.

"It would be easier if I were not," Daphne insists.

I sigh. "We cannot change the families we come from. But in marrying a good man we can make our own family." I pull Tilly onto my lap. "I will be by your side the whole time. As I have been for all our years on this earth."

Ambitious mamas rejoice, for the new Duke of Hastings continues to grace our fair city with his presence. And, oh, what an impressive presence it is! It should be noted that the Duke has been overheard announcing to mamas everywhere that he has no plans of ever marrying. This author wonders which brazen matchmaker shall rise to such a challenge, for this competition is well underway.