"I'm sorry dear, I really am, but my hands are tied here.  You'll have to take it up with your father."

"I tried and he blew me off."

"I'm sorry, but I have a meeting to get to so if you want to talk it will have to be over dinner tonight." Her mom said standing up from her desk and gathering some things for her meeting.

"I won't be at dinner", Lainey demanded.  "I refuse to attend and have to sit with you TRAITORS through a meal.  I will be eating in my room or not at all."

"I can't force you to eat, but I will be seeing you at the dinner table.  You, your father, and I need to sit down and have a chat before tomorrow evening." She said walking towards her office door.

"Yeah we do!", Lainey exclaimed.  "Wait why before tomorrow evening?"

"Oh, your father didn't tell you?"

Lainey stood there with a confused look on her face.  "No.  That man doesn't tell me anything until he's already done it."

Lainey's mom rolled her eyes, "We are having dinner with the Chapman's."

"No, you're joking right?  I refuse." Lainey said crossing her arms.

"Nope, sorry dear not joking, and you will be having dinner with them.  It's not up for debate. See you tonight." she said the last part walking out and closing her office door leaving Lainey standing in the middle of an empty office for the second time in 10 minutes.

Later that evening Lainey found herself sitting at dinner with the rest of her family.  She tried to fight it, but she was basically dragged down the stairs by her mother.

"Lainey so glad you could join us", her father said as she sat down next to her little sister.

Lainey didn't respond she just started fixing her plate and pretended not to hear him.

"Colten, Megan, how was school?" Their mom asked trying to fill the awkward silence.

"Good, we played kickball at recess and our team won!", Colten said.

"That's good buddy I'm glad you had a good day.  Megan how was your day?"

"We got our stupid times tables today and I hate them already." Megan said rolling her eyes.

"Oh, honey, they can't be that bad."

"Mom, I suck at math. They are the worst and we already have homework on them."

"Lainey, maybe you could help your sister with her homework later since you were always good at math."

"Please, please, please, Lainey, I need you." Megan begged.

Lainey looked to her sister "How many questions?"

"Ten and they are multiplications by 2."

"That shouldn't be too bad I can help you after dinner if you want."

"Thank you, thank you, thank you Lainey you're the best." Megan said reaching over and hugging Lainey.

The rest of dinner was filled with regular small talk that Lainey tried to stay out of.  She didn't want to risk getting upset and causing a scene at the dinner table with her younger siblings present.

After dinner Lainey and Megan went upstairs to get started on Megan's homework.

"Lainey", Megan said getting her backpack out.

"Yeah Meg."

"Why were you in a bad mood tonight at dinner?  You ignored mom and dad."

"I-" Lainey paused to think of a good excuse.  "I just didn't feel like talking to them tonight."

Megan gave Lainey her best pouty face "Sissy!"

"Fine, dad and I had a talk in his office earlier today and he made me mad so I didn't feel like talking to him."

"Are you in trouble?"

"No I just didn't like what he told me to do."

"But you're still going to do it right?  I mean he is the dad so you have to listen to him right?" Megan innocently asked.

Lainey opened her mouth to speak but thought better of it and decided to change the topic.  "How about we just worry about your homework for now, yeah?"

"Ok, but I'm warning you it's going to be like impossible I swear it." she said grabbing her homework sheet and pencil.

After Lainey had finished helping Megan with her homework she went downstairs to find her parents.

She found them both in the study.  Her mother was reading a magazine and her father was reading the newspaper."

Lainey cleared her throat causing her parents to look up at her and she took the chance to speak first.  "We need to talk about this."

"Lainey I really don't want you causing a scene while your siblings are upstairs.  Can't this wait until after your mother drops them off at school in the morning?" her dad asked.

"John, you know I can't take them in the morning." Her mother piped up.

"Well neither can I, Sarah, I have a meeting you should know this." her dad scolded.

"Of course I know you have a meeting you buffoon.  I have to attend the same one which is why I can't take them."

"You're attending?"

"You literally sent out the email with everyone who will be there.  Don't you read those things before you send them?" Sarah said rolling her eyes.

"Umm, anyway." Lainey said interrupting before her dad could speak again.  "I can take them in the morning if you two are busy, and I promise I won't make a scene tonight I don't want to get them involved any more than you do."

"Also side note", Lainey said after a brief pause. "You just asked me to wait till morning knowing you had a meeting and we wouldn't be able to do it?  You really are an asshole."

"Lainey", her dad sighed out.  "I'm just tired of fighting you on this.  I told you two days ago that this would be happening no matter what, and you've been on my ass about it ever since.  Can't you just let it go and do as you're told?"

"So you don't even want to hear me out?"

"Of course we do sweetie." her mom said.

"No, Sarah, actually we will not be hearing her out.  I am done hearing you bitch and complain about this.  You will marry the Chapman girl and I won't hear another peep about it or I will cut you off completely and you will go live with your Uncle Jason." John said as he stomped out of the study leaving Lainey and her mom in the study.

"Why can't he just listen to me for once?  He doesn't even care."

"Oh, honey, of course he cares." her mom said standing up and embracing Lainey in a tight hug.  "He just has a funny way of showing it sometimes, and him setting this marriage up for you is just one of his ways.  He only wants to protect his family, and this is the best way he sees fit so he isn't going to let anyone or anything stand in his way.  I really am sorry that you aren't happier about this, but there isn't anything I can do here.  Maybe things won't turn out so bad.  Maybe you'll actually end up liking the girl, or you might even end up loving her.  You never know what might happen." The woman tried to reason with her daughter.

Lainey scoffed, "I don't see that happening, but thanks for trying."

Lainey spent the rest of the night in her room ignoring her parents and texting her friends before falling asleep.