"it's not that big of a deal," kaminari uttered, knowing well and truly he'd been defeated. y/n grinned teasingly, before continuing with her plan. her hand dipped into her pocket and her fingertips brushed against the surprisingly soft paper her admirer had been writing on, and a surge of confidence flooded through her body.

"kaminari," she finally said, and the blonde boy sat up in wonder. "is it possible that you ask jiro about yaoyorozu? i mean, the two of you are close... right? i'm sure she'd know."

"y/l/n, i can't just go up to someone and ask if their best friend has a crush on you," kaminari chuckled, blowing a strand of hair from out of his eyes and raising his eyebrows. for once, he was actually being smart, and it was quite impressive. "as if she'd tell me. and i'm pretty sure she's gone to the mall with ashido, so i can't."

"could you ask yaoyorozu instead?"

"she'd kick me out her room, idiot!" kaminari laughed, flicking his friend in the forehead and wandering over to the kitchen. "now, while you think of a plan, i'm getting some snacks. want anything?"

"i'm okay, thanks," y/n responded, not really paying attention to anything he was saying and instead being lost in thought. everything added up to the letters being from yaoyorozu, from the curly, cursive hand-writing to the pink tape and stamps used on the envelope that y/n had seen in her room. it all... made sense, so why couldn't she just go up to the black-eyed girl's room and ask her out?

a crippling fear of rejection, that's why.

ever since y/n was a kid, she was ruthlessly bullied for no reason in particular. whether it be the way she looked or how she handled her quirk, she was made fun of and never had any friends. hell, the whole reason she moved to u.a half-way in the year was because she was being bullied again. y/n had never even had friends, never mind had a girlfriend, so of course it was terrifying for her to ask someone out.

yaoyorozu didn't know this. kaminari didn't know this. uraraka, midoriya, iida, todoroki and tsuyu didn't know this, either.

so of course it's not their fault.

a shaky sigh left y/n's lips as she attempted to stop a panic attack coming on, and she massaged the sides of your forehead to focus on something else. the fizz that left kaminari's drink, the footsteps from someone's room upstairs, the small tinkle of the tap that her friend had stupidly left on... anything.

"y/n?"

her eyes shot open when she heard the familiar, female voice of yaoyorozu, and she spun around on her heels to see the taller rushing over, an expression of worry plastered on her face. y/n's heart stopped in her throat, and she almost forgot the reason she was panicking in the first place.

"are you quite alright?" yaoyorozu asked, placing a comforting hand on y/n's shoulder.

yaoyorozu was only coming downstairs to get a drink and maybe some lunch, only to find the love of her life standing in the middle of the common room with her head in her hands. visibly shaking.

"y-yeah," she replied, laughing nervously at her stutter. "sorry for worrying you!"

"it's okay, don't worry about it," yaoyorozu insisted, a soft, gentle smile on her lips as she helped the shorter sit down on one of the comfortable sofas. "but seriously, are you okay? you looked afraid. did kaminari do something?"

"yeah right, as if i'd hurt y/l/n," kaminari laughed, overhearing yaoyorozu's words and taking a sip from his lemonade. "y'know, i leave her for thirty seconds and she ends up panicking over nothing."

"so you know what's up with her?" the girl asked, and y/n froze. kaminari was the absolute worst at lying, and he often forgot he was meant to be keeping a secret and would ramble. glancing up, she gave him a quick desperate look, and, without hesitation, he shook his head and ran off. "kaminari?"

the blonde didn't respond and hopped into the elevator, leaving the two girls on the sofa.

alone.

an awkward silence filled the room, and y/n looked down at her shaking hands. yaoyorozu caught on, her heart sunk. whatever was bugging her crush must be something serious, and she hoped she could help in any way she could. of course, she didn't want to pressure y/n to tell her, but she wanted to make sure she knew she was loved and nothing would happen.

"y/n," yaoyorozu began, her voice almost cracking as she tried to stay calm. she had no idea what she wanted to say, but she needed to say something quick before the two of them were even more uncomfortable. "you know you can come to me with any worries you may have, right?"

"mhm," she replied, and yaoyorozu knew she wasn't listening. it must be something really serious if it was upsetting her this much-

"please-"

"yao-momo!" y/n finally exclaimed, startling the poor girl without meaning to. y/n had her eyes squeezed shut and her hands tightly holding yaoyorozu's, and both their hearts were racing. "willyougoonadatewithme?!"

"y/n hold on!" yaoyorozu exclaimed, having no idea what the other just said. it felt like y/n had just said a jumble of words at the speed of light, and the taller was having a very hard time processing it. "that was way too fast. could you calm down and tell me? a little slower?"

y/n opened her eyes, her heart racing so fast she thought she might vomit. and that would be the most embarrassing thing in the world. she attempted to take a deep breath, but she almost suffocated, and instead glanced up at the calm eyes of her lover. yaoyorozu, even in the most frightening moment, always seemed to have eyes that eased the most afraid people, and y/n loved that. gulping, she eventually repeated what she wanted to say, and yaoyorozu's whole expression lit up.

"please, will you go on a date with me?"

"i- s-sure!"