Chapter 5

"Okay, Theez," Alex began, "here's the deal. Until we're done talking here, we want you to stop thinking you're a slave. You need to decide for yourself, and we'll respect whatever decision you make."

"A student before his teachers, then?" Theseus suggested.

"Kind of," said Cal. "Except, there's no obligation on your part. You're free to get up and walk away if you don't like what you hear."

"An odd request, but I shall do my best to honor it."

"Okay, cool," Alex replied. "You've seen what we've been doing here, right? This kind of thing—piecing different creatures together—is new to us. What we usually did before we came here was... well, improve people."

"Improve?"

"Yeah. We can make you stronger, faster, even smarter."

"You offer to do this for me?" Theseus asked. "But why?"

"You said you wanted to be the first to ride Pegasus. That's in the cards. But we could do more. How would you like to be a hero?"

Alex gave the others an approving nod, watching Theseus think it over. Definitely the right guy for the job, he thought.

"A hero is one who does great deeds. What deeds would be expected of me?"

"Hypothetically," Gene began, "what if Chimera—or the new creature we're working on—were to be sent to the mortal realm? They would sow destruction and terror wherever they went. It would require a hero to slay them."

"So I would be..." Theseus paused for a moment. "A failsafe. Is that not what you call it?"

"Exactly!" Alex beamed. "We need a failsafe. Someone able and willing to act if needed."

"I'm willing."

"Here's the downside, though," said Cal. "Some of it will hurt a lot, at least at first. We can give you, uh, medicines that numb the pain. Other things won't hurt, but you'll feel... odd. Not like yourself. At least until you've gotten used to your new abilities."

"We can enhance your strength and speed," Mack added, "but we can't give you all the abilities you'll need to fight monsters. You'll be learning swordplay and the like. Fortunately, we have the absolute best lined up."

Theseus bowed his head. "I have always imagined my fate would be far beyond here, righting wrongs and earning the favor of men. And now, here you are, my masters, offering me that which I thought was only a dream. If this course brings me pain, I shall bear it. If knowledge is offered, I shall accept it. Do what you must, and know that I am glad to receive your gifts."

Mack picked up a syringe. "In that case, let's get started."

• • •

"I was hoping you would have been ready to show me your next creation by now," Zeus scolded from his throne.

The four biohackers listened, heads bowed, but Gene stole a glance toward Hera. She gave him a nod.

"We have been considering how best to proceed, O great one," Gene replied. We know you were more pleased with Chimera than the others, but..."

"Oh, no," the god reassured them. "All of them are pleasing. Hermes is especially pleased with Pegusus. A flying horse would awe all but the most loutish of mortals. But indeed am I intrigued by your Chimera. But also did I enjoy your Centaur. As it happens, a man strode up Olympus yesterday, claiming to be a god. Mad fool. Perhaps you can use him in your endeavor."

• • •

"Okay," said Mack, "he wants another modified dude."

"So we give him what he wants?" Alex replied.