xxxiv. interrogations & therapy sessions

Start from the beginning

A young woman, sitting across from her, couldn't see the person she was talking of. "Mama, there isn't anyone there. Are you feeling okay?"

"Don't dare lie to me, girl. I won't be made a fool of." Putting both hands at the sides of her wheelchair, she looked back to the anomaly. "Stop. Stop it at once! Right now!" She pushes her back as far as she can into the back of her wheelchair. "Get it off! Oh, no! Get it off!" The woman falls on the table, lifeless.

With every scientist and doctor in the room standing up when the call for one came, Charlotte stood out well when joining the group surrounding the body.

---

Swinging a chair out from the desk in her room, Charlotte sits down with her eyes squinted to a man with a full mustache and a wild head of grey hair. "Now, tell me... What does her autopsy show?"

The scientist blinked. "She just died. Mr. Loom and I believe a heart attack is what happened, but there is no definitive proof."

Charlotte nods, rubbing her chin. Humming, she waved past the evidence. "How is your health lately, sir?"

"Good?" he guesses. "My doctor says I'm doing better than other people my age."

"Okay, and your mental health?"

"Good too, I think. Why?"

Charlotte shrugged. "Part of the interrogation. You're good, bring in Rian." And after interrogating the next and next person, she found she wasn't any closer to finding who'll die next than she was a moment ago, even with the guise of both a detective and therapist, she has nothing.

Once Henry leaves to retrieve Penelope for her, Henry enters the lounge car where a woman sings a '20s parody of "Don't Stop Me Now." Passing by two new passengers, the man in this pair took note when Henry whispered in Penelope's ear suspiciously. With her back straight, Penelope leaves the lounge car in the same direction Henry entered it.

---

After comforting Penelope through a breakdown, the scientist leaves Charlotte's room with her eyes puffy. Once passing by the Doctor and Clara, the former remembering her leaving the lounge car, Clara rolled her eyes at the Doctor.

"No," she simply said.

"There could be a clue in there."

"... Or, it could be someone who doesn't want to be bothered." Nevertheless, the Doctor approached the door with Clara following in toe.

---

Giving a sigh from the room now being rid of the sobbing, at least, for now, Charlotte threw the tissues into the trash.

Hearing a knock, she prepped herself for the next interrogation. Pressing on a smile, she opened the door up only for the plastered smile to turn into a smaller, real one. "Oh! It's you two!" she exclaimed when seeing the pair standing outside of the door. "I thought you were someone else. How'd you find me?"

"We followed the trail of crying women," said the Doctor. "What are you doing, therapy sessions?"

Charlotte thought of it for a moment. "Something like that." Ushering the two in, she looks back at them. "I've been on this train since the last pitstop, saw Mrs. Pitt die soon after, and began interrogating the passengers."

"Find anything?" asks Clara.

"Nothing you didn't know already."

The two catch Charlotte up to speed and she catches them up on where she's been. A few minutes later, though, they left for their own rooms. Considering they came here on the TARDIS, she wasn't sure how they could've got a room without a ticket but didn't question it.