Chapter 3

I sighed, rubbing my sore eyes.
''Good morning, sleeping beauty.'' A voice said cheerfully.
I focused on BEN Drowned, who was leaning over me-a bit too close for comfort-smiling. Surprised, I pushed him off, sitting up quickly.
''What the hell were you doing?''
''Watching you sleep.''
''...I regret letting you stay here.''
''Aww, but I like it here.''
''Too bad. You have to leave. Like, now.''
''Why?''
''I have to go to work early today.''
''Oh, I'll go with you.''
''No, that's really-''
''I'm coming with you.''
''But you don't exactly look...normal.''
''Don't worry about it. Just go get ready.''
I followed the elf's instructions, pulling on an oversized grey sweater and black skinny jeans, tying my hair back so it wouldn't get in the way, slinging my bag over my shoulder and returning to BEN. It took me a second to realize he looks... different, to say the least. He changed out of his Link costume, and was now wearing jeans and a Legend of Zelda shirt. Though-of course- his hat still rested on his blonde hair. Also, his eyes are blue and not strangely unsettling. That's nice. Wait..
''Where did you get those clothes? And how'd you get changed so quickly?''
''What can I say, I'm just that amazing.''
''And very egotistical, it seems.''
''That's not necessarily a bad thing.''
''I disagree slightly, but whatever.''
''...Are you ready to go or not?''
''Obviously.''
He let himself out, tossing the small silver key to me as I snapped my fingers at him. After locking the front door, I followed him to the elevator, slapping his hand away as he tried to mess with the buttons. He pouted, crossing his arms over his chest, muttering that I was no fun. He brightened, however, once we got outside
''It's my turn to ask you a question.''
''What is it?''
''Why do you have a box full of scissors in your room?''
''Oh, because I collect.... Wait a minute... How do you know they're in my wardrobe?''
''Doesn't matter.''
''Were you looking through my wardrobe, you-''
''Certainly not. But even if I did- which I didn't- I don't think I'd see much. Maybe... So, why so many scissors?''
''...If you must know, I buy one pair every two weeks. And the reason I have so many is because I started when I was eight.''
''Who lets an eight year old girl collect scissors?''
''Well, my parents died when I was three so I lived with my grandma. She didn't care what I did so I was basically free to do whatever I wanted.''
''Where is she now?''
''She moved to Italy to get married last year. That's why I live on my own now.''
''How old are you?''
''Don't you know you're not supposed to ask a woman her age?''
''Oh...Sorry.''
''I'm joking. Seventeen. I'm seventeen. How about you?''
''Eighteen.''
''Do you live alone then?''
''No. I don't.''
''So with family? Friends?''
''Well, I consider them my family. None of us are actually related though.''
''And here I thought you lived in a television or computer.''
''I do sometimes. When I want to be alone. Or to kill various video game characters.''
''Oh, well, that's nice.''
''Yes, it is actually.''
I turned to him with a small smile as we entered the store.
''Thanks for walking with me.''
''No problem. Hey, what time do you finish? I'll come pick you up.''
''No, you won't because Elias is coming over today and I don't want him to see you.''
I prepared myself for him argument, already practicing the speech I was going to say to him to convince him to leave me alone. However, I didn't need to do anything.
''Fine.''
Despite his agreeing with me, I was still suspicious.
''...Really?''
''Yep. Don't worry. I won't bother you.''
''...Ok. Good. Thanks.''
''See you tomorrow?''
''Sure...''
He winked, the corners of his mouth twitching up into a mischievous smirk as he left. Ignoring this, I approached Zack, who watched me closely, a stupid grin on his face.
''What's his name?'' He demanded immediately, not even giving me a chance to greet him.
''Who's?''
''Your boyfriends.''
''I still don't have or want a boyfriend, Zack.''
''You've been saying that for like three years.''
''That's because you've been bugging me about it for three years.''
''...Fine. What's the guy's name? The one you came in with.''
''BEN. He's... a friend.''
Does entering into my home without my permission or knowledge, seeing me almost naked and sleeping on my couch make BEN my friend? Somehow, I don't think I should mention any of these things. So I kept my mouth shut.
''More than a friend?''
''Just leave it, Zack.''
''Ok, ok, I'll leave you alone... Hey, are you coming to Monica's party tonight?''
''No. I hate Monica and her parties get a little too out of hand and I'd rather not get involved with the police again. I'm just going to hand out with Elias.''
''What are you gonna do?''
''Not sure. Probably watch a movie, play some games.''
''Well, have fun.''
''You too. Just don't do anything stupid or dangerous.''
''Are you trying to imply something?''
''You're going to be drinking. You, my friend, get drunk way too easily and do some very idiotic things.''
''I do not!''
''Oh, yeah, I totally believe you... Hey, you remember when BEN came here a few days ago?''
''Yeah...''
''...Has his friend come back here?''
''I haven't seen him. Why?''
''Just curious, is all.''
''......You like him.''
''What? I don't even know him. All I know is his name is Jeff and he's BEN's best friend. That's it.''
''How adorable. Saige has a crush!''
''Tais-toi!''
''...Excuse me?''
''I said shut up.''
''You don't have to deny anything. It's perfectly ok to love someone you don't know. The heart wants what is wants, right?''
''...Zack, Je vais vous tuer un jour.''
''I don't understand what you're saying. It all sounds like gibberish.''
''That's the point, douchebag.''
''I demand to know what you said.''
''I refuse to tell you.''
''Ugh, you're such a bitch.''
''Thank you.''
One of our co-workers- a shy girl named Marla- smiled, watching our exchange. She put down her magazine, standing up to whisper in Zack's ear.
''She said she's going to kill you one day.''
''Marla, you weren't supposed to tell him that!''
''Sorry. Couldn't resist the look he was giving me.''
Zack gave me a happy smile, nodding triumphantly. I simply turned away from him, refusing to acknowledge his existence, for the next hour.