Chapter 2

''You look terrible, Saige.''
''Thanks, Zack.''
I leaned against the counter, sighing as I rubbed my sore eyes. Then cursing as I realized I probably smudged my mascara.
''Shit. Here, pass me my bag, would you?''
Zack reached over to pick my bag off the floor, watching as I looked around for the mirror I carry with me everywhere.
''I don't think you should be at work today.''
''I'm fine. Just tired, is all.''
''Couldn't sleep?''
''No. I had a weird dream.''
''What about?''
''Um.... I forgot, actually. Anyway, I only woke up like an hour ago.''
''It's three thirty in the evening.''
''Well I kept waking up. Ugh, I can't wait to go home.''
''You do know that we have to work late tonight, right?''
''Seriously? I forgot all about that. How much longer?''
''Only two hours. Hey, are we still on for tonight?''
''Of course. What are we watching?''
''I didn't care enough to ask but Steven said he's getting your favourite movie.''
''I don't even remember what my favourite movie is. There's too many.''
''Is Elias coming too?''
''No. He's going to the museum with Vicky and Jessica.''
''...Seriously?''
''He's probably practicing for the day he becomes a dad. Which will be pretty soon. Jessica's already like two months.''
''Well, I guess Vicky will like it. How old is she anyway? Eight or nine?''
''Seven. Remember she had that party?''
''Oh right. If I ever need to blackmail you, I have that photo of you in a pretty pink dress with a crown in your hair, surrounded by little fairies.''
''If you show that to anyway, I-''
''I already showed it to Steven, Jack and Carol.''
''Oh, well, that's fine. They were at the party anyway.''
''I guess. Hey, how long have Elias and Jessica been together?''
''Uh, about...four years, I think. Why?''
''Just curious.''
He turned to a customer, who was buying a Mario game, with a smile.
''Thank you. Have a nice day.'' He said happily as the customer left.
''Saige?''One of our co-workers asked, tapping my shoulder.
''Yeah?''
''Some guy is calling you. He says his name is Elias.''
''Ok, thanks.''
What does he want? Probably forgot to tell me something. I went to the back room, sitting on one of the boxes as I brought the phone up to my ear.
''Hey, Elias. What's up?''
''Nothing much. Just wanted to see how you are.''
''I'm alright. How come you didn't call my cell phone?''
''I couldn't get through.''
''Oh. That may be because I forgot to charge it. Sorry.''
''Don't worry about it. You want to come to the new museum with me, Vicky and Jess?''
''As much as I would love to spend time with my two favourite cousins and my friend, I can't. I have to work late and then I'm going over to Zack and Steven's place. Besides, I hate museums. They're so boring.''
''That's what I thought. Well, have fun. Don't stay out too late.''
''Yeah, whatever.''
''Will you walk home or do you want me to pick you up?''
''I'll walk. The fresh air will help me sleep. But thanks.''
''Well...ok. Don't do anything stupid. I'll talk to you tomorrow.''
''Bye. Love you.''
I put the phone down, grabbing a box of games that needed to be put on the shelves before joining Zack at the counter. He smiled, putting down the Minecraft figurines he was playing with.
''I wish I had the same relationship you and Elias have with my cousin.''
''How is Aaron? I haven't seen him since that time he stayed with you.''
''Still hates me.''
''I don't know how anyone could ever hate you. You're like the nicest guy I know.''
''Aww, thanks. You're sweet.''
He patted my head, making me frown as he messed up my hair. I pushed him away, turning away as I tied my hair in a messy plait.
We didn't have much time to have a proper conversation after that, as people entered the store, looking to buy the newest game.

''Come on, Saige. Walk faster.''
''Ok, look. You're the one who insisted we take the damn stairs. I've been standing around for six hours. Don't rush me.''
''It's good exercise.''
''I don't exercise, Zack. You know that.''
''Quit complaining... Samara.''
Seriously? He knows I hate using my real name.
''You are not doing this.''
''Doing what, Samara?''
''If you call me that one more time, I-''
''Samara.''
I jumped up, suddenly energised, and reached out to grab his arm so I could punch him but he dodged, causing me to almost fall down.
''Come back here so I can kill you!''
''No, thanks. I'm good.''
I was forced to run after him, up about four flights of stairs, all the way to the top floor. By the time, we reached his apartment, I was once again tired and out of breath. Zack had to push me in through the front door, into the living room.
''Hello, love.'' Steven said, coming into the room.
''Hi, Steven. How are you?''
''Good. You?''
''Fine. Tired.''
Zack laughed, wrapping his arm around my shoulders casually.
''Saige here tried to kill me.''
''Saige, it's not nice to try to kill friends.''
''He deserved it.'' I protested.
''I'm sure he did. Now, give me any weapons you may have.''
He held out his hand, raising an eyebrow, waiting. Knowing that he wouldn't budge, I reluctantly handed over my scissors.
''I'm taking these and putting them on a high shelf.''
''I'm not that short. I'm almost as tall as you.''
''I'm putting them in a box and locking it.''
''I hate you so much, Steven.''
I sighed in annoyance, sitting down on the black leather couch. Zack stretched out beside me, handing me a juice box, which I took from him, pouting.
''...Thanks.'' I muttered, stabbing the straw through the opening.
Steven returned, put a DVD into his laptop, setting it up as he handed me the box. I examined it curiously, momentarily distracted.
''The Lady and the Tramp?''
''Your favourite, right?''
''Steven, have I ever mentioned that I love you?''
''Love you too, Saige.''
We watched the movie in silence, as I didn't allow either of them to speak. I leaned my head against Zack's chest, my legs resting on the arm of the couch. Zack dozed off after a little while, his breathing slowing down. I relaxed, hearing his heartbeat.
By the time the movie finished, I was about ready to pass out, feeling warm and comfortable. Unfortunately, I have to walk home, in the freezing cold.
''Are you sure you don't want me to drive you?'' Zack checked again.
''No. A walk will help me sleep better. Besides, your driving scares me.''
''I don't know...''
''I'll be fine, Zack.''
I turned my attention to Steven, who handed me my coat, scissors and the movie.
''Thank you, Steven. Today was fun.''
''Yeah, you should come over soon again.''
''I'll do that. Night, guys.''
''See you tomorrow.'' Zack called as I stepped inside the elevator.