Even if her perfection could be rather trying at times to a much older, much less perfect sister.

Mishti (smiling warmly) : Well! I guess that the inevitable finally happened then?

Kuhu blushed prettily and threw herself on one of the chairs opposite Mishti. She gazed at her dreamily.

Kuhu : Can you believe it? He finally proposed. After one year of dating... But still. I didn't expect one so soon from him. Isn't he wonderful?

He, in this case, being Kunal Mishra, Rajkot Elite Number 5 and now, Kuhu's future husband and Mishti's brother-in-law.

Young, handsome, wealthy, and position, the aspiring doctor had taken one look at Kuhu at a function and become quite thoroughly infatuated. A whirlwind courtship had followed the whole year, and the man had arrived at Singhania Nivas that morning to ask for her hand in marriage. Mishti had been barely able to contain her amusement at Kunal's nervousness; for all his status and wealth, he had been obviously eager for Kuhu's answer—a fact that had only served to endear him further to Mishti.

Mishti : Why wouldn't I believe it, Sweetheart? I've had the whole year to observe him and he loves you, Kuhu. Just as much as you love him. He is young, wants to be a doctor and his family is Elite number 5.

Kuhu : Oh Mishti, I wouldn't care if he wasn't part of the Elite. I just love the man.. Not his status, nor the wealth or anything else. I'm just glad I'm marrying Kunal.

Voice : An Elite number 5. You are going to be so happy, Kuhu beta!

Both women turned in surprise at the statement, spoken in a shrill pitch of barely contained excitement from the doorway of the room. Mishti sighed as she recalled what had sent her into hiding earlier in the day.

Her mother.

Ma : Isn't this wonderful news, Mishti? Kuhu is to be married. I can't believe Kuhu will be the Mishra's bahu. There is so very much to do! A wedding to plan! A betrothal function to host! Menus to design! Invitations to send! Not to mention Kuhu's clothes! And jewellery! Oh! Kuhu!

The utter bliss on their mother's face was rivaled only by the utter terror on Kuhu's. Mishti bit back a smile and entered the fray to rescue her sister.

Mishti : Mumma? Kunal and Kuhu have agreed for marriage only today. Don't you want to give them some time before you start planning?

It was as though she had not spoken. The older woman pressed on, her volume becoming more and more earsplitting.

Ma : AND YOU, MISHTI! We shall have to start deciding clothes for you too. There won't be time later.

Oh, no. Mrs Karishma Singhania was many things, but a reliable person to choose a dress for her elder daughter was not one of them. If Mishti did not provide a distraction for her mother soon, she would be destined to attend her sister's wedding in a multi-coloured monstrosity complete with matching jewellery.

Mishti : Mumma! We'll deal with all of that tomorrow. Why don't we hold a small celebratory dinner today?

Her mother's eyes lit up even further, if that were possible.

Ma : That's an amazing idea. It will be family only, of course—because we must hold the official announcement for later, with the press conference—but I think a dinner tonight is just the thing! Oh! So much more to do! Oh my love, Kuhu!

And, with that, she left.

In the silence that followed their mother's departure, Kuhu sat stunned by the scene that had just taken place. Mishti couldn't help but smile.