Chapter Twenty One: Blurred

Start from the beginning

I love you, Din.

It stung, seeing him so close yet knowing he hadn't responded the way she wished he would have. Maybe he just hadn't heard, but she had heard him breathing over the other end. Didn't he love her too? Didn't he care about her even half as much as she did him? Wasn't that the promise in Mando'a she had given him?

Guilt gnawed at her, and uncertainty was beginning to worm its way into her chest. He had slept beside her all night, kissed her over and over again, protected her with his life... but had yet to say those three words back to her. It haunted her immensely, and made her scared to say those words aloud again.

She had just opened her mouth to say something when she heard a yell outside. Din perked up, rising and walking to the door to swing it back open.

"Looks like our friend's awake."

Thell sat on the steps while Din stood beside her, hands on his hips. They stared down at the man in front of them, who was just beginning to fully realize where he was. He seemed frantic at first, hazel eyes darting frantically before they finally landed on Din. His mouth formed an "o" as he stared up at him, and his gaze drifted to Thell.

She wanted to yell at him, make him tell them exactly who he was and why he shared the same name as her father. She knew Bo had been telling the truth, but part of her wondered what had happened after that base had blown up. Had her father somehow made it out, unharmed? Is that why only his armor was found, the Beskar that didn't break for anything?

But Din was silent, moving to cross his arms over his chest as he watched the man struggle against the post. He couldn't be any older than his mid fifties, graying auburn hair fraying out over his forehead and ears. To her surprise, his gray facial hair was neatly trimmed, like he took pride in his appearance. No doubt he couldn't find the same care in his clothes, the tattered gray jumpsuit with holes in the knees and fraying at the edges. If Thell had imagined her father, she didn't expect him to look like this: defeated, tied up to a post, blood leaking from a wound on his temple from where Din had hit him.

He struggled just for a moment before fixing his eyes back on Din. Around them, the village was noisy as they shuffled by, kids peeking obviously at the strange man in their midst. But they seemed to mind their own business, and made their way around them.

"Where am I?" The man's voice was rough, like sandpaper had been run along his tongue.

But Din didn't give him the easy way out.

"Who are you?"

The man blinked. "... My name is Theldar Avan. I told you that already."

"What were you doing in that base?" Din asked. Thell hadn't seen him like this before, all intimidating and gruff in front of this man who said he was her father.

She could see the man's throat bob nervously. "I was a prisoner of the Empire."

"What for?"

"What do you think?" The man snapped. "The Empire'll take anyone who gets in their way these days. It's not like the Rebellion is in full force again. Not like five years ago."

"Where'd they take the kid?"

"... Off planet. I overheard some troopers talking about him being shipped off to Morak. Moff Gideon is apparently supposed to meet them there."

Thell could see Din studying him beyond the mask, his fingers tightening on his bicep. She glanced from the Mandalorian back to the man, the one with her father's name. They weren't going to get anywhere with questions like this.

Din stepped down the stairs, hovering over the man. "And why should we believe you?"

The man sighed, shaking his head. "It's not like I've got anything else to live for at the moment. My wife hid away with my kid years ago. I lost the crew that I did have. Whatever answers I have, you can take them. I'd rather that than a painful death if I kept them."