Part 5: The Last Chapter

Start from the beginning

Nodding my head slowly, I smile weakly. "I know exactly what I'm doing, doctor. Please let me be with the love of my life and the father of my children while he is dying."

He bites his lip, and with a nod, he barks orders to his colleagues. "Clear out this wing, and close the doors. No visitation is allowed except for family. Her Majesty is going in." 

He offers his hand to me, and guides me to the door. My steps are shaky, and my breath is shallow. Everyone in the room knows that I am willingly walking to my death.

But before I can get there, a hand grabs my arm. I am spun around, and find myself looking into my daughter's eyes.

"Mom, what are you doing?" she pleads, her eyes filled with tears. Slightly behind her, Xander stands with an arm protectively in front of their children whose eyes are wide with confusion and concern.

"My love," I whisper, bringing my hand to her cheek to wipe away the stream of tears. "I have to be with him. Things cannot end with us apart."

"But Mom..." She lets out a sob. "I can't lose both of you. I need you, Mom. I need you. Please don't."

I smile sadly at her, and then look between her and her husband. "You are a queen that our people adore. You have already made great strides as a ruler to bring peace to this country. You have an amazing husband, and children that will make you proud for the rest of your life. Just as you have always made me so proud.

"Your father and I have taught you everything we can. You have always been independent, strong, and full of so much potential. You no longer need us, my darling. But if you ever do, we will always be in your heart."

She pulls me into a hug, sobbing into my shoulder. "But I want you here. I love you. I love you too much to say goodbye. It's too soon, please, it's too soon...."

I swallow my own sobs and hug her as tight as I possibly can, knowing it will be the last time. Her tears stain my dress, but I barely notice. My beautiful daughter needs me right now, and I will be here.

I wave Xander and the kids over, forming a giant group hug. I am surrounded by love, by compassion, and by family. All that a woman could hope for in life, I have had. I have been so incredibly lucky to live the life I have, and though I may not want it to end, I must stand by the man that gave me all of this. 

I feel a pang of guilt that I will not be able to hold my first born son, or my baby boy, or any of my other grandchildren for one last time, but I know I cannot wait for them to get here. By then, it may be too late for Maxon.

Amberly pulls away from our embrace, shaking her head. "I know why you have to. I just wish you didn't."

Running my hand through her hair, I nod. "I know, baby. I don't want to leave you. But someone has to be there for him now, as he has always been there for us."

"He deserves that. Please tell him how much we love him, and how thankful we are for him. We will all be here, even if we can't be by his side." She closes her eyes. "He has been the best father I could've asked for. I regret not being close with him sooner in my life. Please tell him.... tell him...."

"Amberly, he knows. Trust me. He knows, and I will remind him once again." I put a hand on her shoulder. "Please make sure Gerad and Logan get here quickly. And hug them as tightly as you can, once for me, and once for your father. Tell them how much we love them, how much we will miss them, and how proud we are of them both."

"Of course," she murmurs. With that, she hugs me one last time, kisses my cheek, and walks over to the glass where her father is. My weak legs take me to Xander, and he whispers to the kids to join their mother.