Chapter Thirty-three

Start from the beginning

"What happened last night?"

I asked myself. I stood there as I tried to recall the previous night but was left blank. All I could remember was telling Kin that we know her secret, and that was it. She was furious, I must admit that was the first time that I have seen her so upset. She acted out of character. How I would expect bloodsuckers to act daily? But it only happened once and even then Lemon and I could talk her into calming down.

That easy. Words seem to get through to her and she tried not to snap because she didn't want to scare us. She behaved rather unnerved, anxious about what might happen if her secret is out in the open.

They spent half an hour talking about how they could hide the secret and when and where it would be a safe time to discuss what she and her friends are. Other than that it felt to him like my memory was wiped clean, it was my first time too. I have always heard about blackouts but never experienced them. I can't even recall how I made my way home.

Saskia
I scanned the crowd, perhaps I will see Kin's face but she still wasn't popping up. She's never late.

"Oh relax," Laura said as she typed a message on her phone. Not paying attention to what's happening on stage. She hates going to school early on Mondays because she couldn't stand the weekly assemblies. "Kin will be here any second now,"

"Who you texting?" Paul asked and attempted to get a look. Laura gasped and covered her phone by holding it to her chest.

"Why do you care? It's none of your beez 'kay?"

He chortled.

"Will you guys be quiet? Some of us are trying to listen," Jason snapped. In his natural moods as usual. His friends gave him the stink eye before paying attention to Mr Cameron.

"Also, our hearts go out to the Tepes family whose daughter, Vreemde-Kin Lyra, has been reported missing. We pray for her safety and hope that she will be found. And may God handle this,"

My blood ran cold as it skipped a beat. We looked at each other in silence. Speechless. What does one say after just hearing that their friend is missing? Especially since we know that she's wanted simply just breathing.

I pulled Laura and Jason by their sleeves and they made their way out of the tight crowd, Paul followed closely. We walked to the back of the school at the old bathrooms where kids smoke because we thought it would be empty but some kids don't attend the assemblies.

Beverly and Caitlyn were there as well. They both noticed how spooked we were and made their way over to us. "Guys, what's happening?" They asked together. "Where's Kin?"

I swallowed hard and looked at the two wide-eyed. I lifted my finger like I was about to say something but instead, I groaned and grabbed my frizzy hair. I have no idea how to deliver this news.

"Kin is missing," Laura said in a light tone. She didn't know Kin that much but she liked her. We hoped nothing too bad happened to her because Kin missing felt weird and out of place.

"What?" Beverly huffed angrily. "Dy'all think it's Alejandro? What if he wants to inject her too, despite what he said?"

"This can't be... no," Jason expressed in a soft voice unlike his own.

"And where is... Vincent?" Caitlyn questioned, "Or Lemon? Are they kidnapped too?"

I sighed and twirled my fingers around my black curls. "All I know is that she was last with Lemon, what if there's something wrong with Lemon too?"