chapter1

A/N all rights go to Rick Riordan and J.R.R Tolkien. Edited my extraordinary, fabulous, twin sister @_raphaelsantiago_ without whom I would be lost and swimming in a sea of my own piss. (She wrote that, not me. And she would like to put in that this story probably still sucks because well her brother sucks).

(Percy's POV)

Hi, I'm Percy Jackson, the one and only son of Poseidon. You might know me as the two time savior of Olympus or whatever but hey nobody's counting.

I surveyed Camp Half-blood, and all was as it should be. I could hear the shrieks of laughter from the campers training in the arena, and in the distance I could see the satyrs and nymphs tending to the strawberry fields. My home.

I grinned and ran up to my best friend, Jason Grace son of Jupiter, but just as I got there the horn sounded. Something was happening at the border. I uncapped my sword, Riptide, and sprinted towards Thalia's pine. When I got there I saw a boy of about sixteen with messy brown hair and mossy green eyes being chased by two hell hounds. He was screaming as he ran, stumbling up the last few feet of hill. I quickly jumped in and killed the monsters, wiping my sword off in the grass.

I bent down and put a hand on his shoulder. "Hey kid, you okay?"

"Yeah, no thanks to you, dickwad," he shouted, pushing me off and scrambling to his feet, scowling at me. The rest of the camp reached the border and he snatched riptide straight from my hand and held it aloft.

"Percy!" Chiron explained, cantering to a stop in front of me. "What is going on? And who is this?"

The boy I had just saved stepped forwards arrogantly, twirling my sword through his fingers. "Hello, I am Tristan Dickson and I just slayed two fearsome beasts while this idiot," he waved his sword at me, "stood there and watched while I fought for our lives."

Chiron and the other campers looked at me in disgust. A fully trained camper like me standing by while a newbie fought off a hellhound? It was the height of cowardice. I would never do something like that. "But -" I spluttered but nobody was listening to me anymore.

I followed their gaze to Tristan, who was grinning smugly as he took the last steps past Thalia's pine tree. A glowing green trident came to life above his head and a rush of whispers swept through the onlookers.

Chiron knelt in awe. "All hail Tristan Dickson, son of Poseidon, the Earth Shaker and Lord of Horses." I was stunned.

Over the next few days, people started to blame me for things I didn't do. It happened gradually, and at first it almost seemed like a coincidence. Three days after Tristan came to camp, Jason came to my cabin door and accused me of stealing his glasses. Fair enough, as I had hidden his glasses from him as a joke on more than one occasion.

Then next day Katie Gardener came up to me and yelled at me for ruining her garden. When had I ever done that? One by one all my friends came up to me to shout at me for one thing or another, even campers I'd barely spoken to in my life. Eventually it was just me and my girlfriend, Annabeth Chase. I was so lucky to have her. Even when all my other friends turned their back, she would stay by my side unflinchingly.

That was all I needed to stay motivated, and I decided to throw caution to the wind propose to her tomorrow. I couldn't wait. I'd been thinking about it for a while now, and I knew there was no way she'd say no. I went to sleep reassured for the first time in a while.

When I woke up I decided to skip breakfast to avoid the glares that I knew would be waiting for me, so I went to train at the beach. I always felt most at home next to the waves. Maybe it would help clear my head. After a couple of hours I returned to camp, but nobody was around. Strange. I could hear cheering from the fighting arena though, so I ran over, hoping to prove to everyone that even though they didn't like me I was still the best sword master in camp. Before I reached the gate, I stopped, and for reasons I couldn't explain I decided to sneak in around the side instead.