20 | the little engine that could (but probably shouldn't)

Začít od začátku

They found Max tied up in the living room, covered in pink marker and glitter.

Vienna was gleefully whacking him with a plastic sword. Hugh was sitting on a nearby sofa, eating a bowl of popcorn and watching "Jake and the Neverland Pirates." Louise leaned against the doorjamb, crossing her arms.

"Do I want to know?" she asked.

Her brother closed his eyes. "Please don't comment."

"This," Ella said, pulling out her phone, "is going on Instagram." She snapped a picture. "Your fans are going to have a field day."

Max sighed. "Where's Ophelia?"

"She went to the studio," Ella said, without looking up.

"Andrew's working?" Max frowned, wrinkling the line of pink marker on his forehead. "On Boxing Day?"

Ella pocketed the phone. "I guess inspiration doesn't take a holiday. Also, I suspect he drank too much last night and is lying on the floor eating take-out." She glanced at her watch. "Have you started packing?"

"Well," Max said, "I've spent the last hour tied to this pole. So, no."

Louise dumped her bag by the door. "Is Ben home yet?"

Max shook his head. "He texted at lunch to say he'd be late."

Her brother's voice was casual. Too casual, Louise thought; he was trying to be cool about the shared bedding arrangement when he so clearly wasn't. Louise suspected she had Ella to thank for that. She shot her friend a grateful look, but Ella was busy crouching down, working at the knots with her fingers.

A key clicked in the lock.

"Speak of the devil," Max said.

The door opened.

Ben was dressed in a navy peacoat and chinos, a backpack slung over one shoulder. He paused in the doorway, taking in the scene: Max, tied to a post; Ella, flushed and breathless, her fingers raw from the ropes.

Ben whistled. "Didn't know you two were into that sort of thing."

Max glowered. "Langford, I swear—"

"Easy," Ben said, his mouth quirking. "I'm just messing about." He hung up his coat, carefully placing his backpack on the side table. "Bentley, can I speak with you for a second?"

"Sure," Max and Louise said together.

Ben stuck his hands in his pockets. "Louise Bentley."

Louise stole a handful of popcorn from Hugh's bowl, and the younger boy shot her a wounded look. "Would you mind watching them for a bit longer, Max?"

"Well," Max said dryly. "It's not like I'm going anywhere, is it?"

She smiled. "Thanks."

Louise trailed Ben upstairs. He led her to the master bedroom, and she wasn't surprised to see that he closed the door. Still, her heart sped up as Ben leaned against it, folding his arms. They were alone. Completely alone.

"Hi," he said.

She swallowed. "Hi."

"About this morning..."

Ben rubbed at his jaw. Seconds ticked by. The urge to jump in filled her, but Louise fought against it; she'd done that the last time, and where had it gotten her? Ben hadn't been able to deny that he fancied her, and the girls had gotten the wrong idea.

No.

Louise bit her tongue. Actually bit her tongue. She was staying quiet, even if it went against every fibre of her being.